Official Descriptions for the First 2 Episodes of 2012

Thanks to a shortened Hellatus, new Supernatural is just around the corner. The season continues on Friday, January 6 with “Adventures in Babysitting,” followed by “Time After Time After Time.” Keep reading for the official synopses of both episodes.

“Adventures in Babysitting”: “Still reeling after what happened to Bobby, Dean becomes dangerously obsessed over finding a way to take down Dick Roman. Meanwhile, Sam decides to help a teenage girl look for her father, a hunter who has gone missing. Sam traces his last steps to a truck stop where the help turns out not to be so friendly.

-It sounds like Bobby is definitely dead. The fact that both brothers seem to be involved in separate storylines is also a bit confusing.

“Time After Tome After Time”: “Sam and Dean tangle with the God of Time (guest star Jason Dohring), who sends Dean back to 1944, where he is immediately arrested by none other than the one and only Eliot Ness (guest star Nicholas Lea). While trying to figure out how to retrieve his brother, Sam is surprised by the reappearance of an old friend.”

-Veronica Mars‘ Jason Dohring AND The X-Files Nicholas Lea? This one could be great, and I’m curious to see who this “old friend” is. Cas won’t return until later in the season, so maybe Chuck? Crowley? Or maybe it’s ironic and it’s Lucifer. So many of their “friends” have died that there aren’t too many left to choose from. However, since it involves time travel, I’d assume it would be an angel or someone else who could help manipulate time, the only problem is that Joshua is the only angel we’ve ever met who’s still living.

News posted on December 22, 2011 Comments (96)

1. That’s just upsetting if Bobby is really gone…can’t wait for the next half though! I hope Bobby makes a come back? I mean seriously you can’t take a character’s death all the serious in SPN they just keep coming back…or at least that’s what I’m hoping for!

Comment by Dee — December 22, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

2. *Eliot

Comment by Def Leppard :) — December 22, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

3. i am very upset that bobby is gone, he should not have been killed off. and dee i understand your view on death in the show but the only people who have actually been killed and brought back (with the exception on season 5 finale and samual) have been sam and dean and the show wouldnt work well with only one of them. as much as it pains me to say it i think they really killed off bobby. but thinkink back i would have to say the “old friend” in “time after time after time” could be anyone since even people who have died beyond being sent to heaven or hell were put in purgotory and since purgotory has been opened then isn’t it possible then anyone from heaven hell or beyond could return? yes death isnt just death in the show but the way i see it people do die for good and if theyre luckky they may return for one episode such as was done for ash and hellen but remember they are still dead. i want to stop watching since bobby is gone (its upset me that much lol) but i still find myself lookin’ forward to whats to come. hopefully the show stays good…

Comment by dean — December 22, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

4. Maybe Sam’s old friend is Sarah Blake. I liked her a lot. She was smart and brave and I think she’d make an awesome hunter.

Comment by bestshowfan — December 22, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

5. Im still holding onto hope that Bobby isnt dead…..And the two seperate stroy lines for the boys…maybe its there way of coping with the loss…..as for an old friend…lol in spn world, it could be anyone!

Not long to wait until we find out!

Comment by Ria — December 23, 2011 @ 3:20 am

6. Bobby is dead. He has to be so that the previous episode is not a waste. Why would any series have that much build up and then just have the character suddenly survive?

Comment by Chris — December 23, 2011 @ 5:20 am

7. both sam and dean made deals to bring each other back manybe the king of hell will bring him back near end of season. because he wants the boys to take them down and mite need help. hopefully that happens bring back bobby

Comment by kevez derry — December 23, 2011 @ 9:14 am

8. @Kevez Derry Sam never made a deal to bring Dean back, unless you are thinking of the “Mystery Spot” episode. I guess that counts.

Comment by Chris — December 23, 2011 @ 10:51 am

9. I’m thinking the “old friend” is Jody Mills. Of course, I don’t classify her as an ‘old friend’ since the boys only met her once, but in SPNverse, anyone who has been on the show once could be considered an old friend.

Comment by Sheri — December 23, 2011 @ 11:57 am

10. I just want it to be Jan 6

Comment by Kimberly — December 23, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

11. Thompson is credited as writer for Time; given his Slash Fiction, it could be great–plenty of action. Its Glass for Babysitting; less hopeful there.
    bestshowfan–ditto on Sarah; still my favorite of Sam’s women, and she neither died nor was a monster. Haven’t been many of those.

Comment by CaseyT — December 23, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

12. I am going to be VERY upset if Bobby is really dead. It makes me want to stop watching the show….that’s how BIG of a mistake I think this is….It was bad enough what they did to Castiel, but to take Bobby too, in the same season??? Have the writers lost their minds? Don’t they WANT to be renewed for another season?? If they keep killing everybody off then I have to say they will lose viewers….it is a pure fact…..The Castiel backlash is showing up in this season’s ratings already……

Comment by Erin — December 23, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

13. The direction they are taking the storyline doesn’t make sense. The boys were lucky to escape the Leviathan on more than one occassion; the writers isolating Sam and Dean from everything make them more vulnerable. It’s just a BIGGER advantage for the Leviathan. Dean being ‘dangerously obssessed’seems to supports that theory because obssession might cloud his judgement

Comment by Steph — December 23, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

14. Wow what crybabies some people are. The show is Sam and Dean the success is b/c of them. I’m there for the brothers (and mainly Jared) Bobby Dies Sad but i’m good. No bobby no cass very much like Season 1 only diff is the car is gone. And I like it.
    I’ll stick with Supernatural untilit ends, if that’s with season 7 good or season 8 or years from now OR if Jared leaves.

Comment by Kelly — December 23, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

15. I am waiting until the show returns to see what really happens and not listening to the constant “spoilers” that the forum likes to throw out just to cause controversy.

When I find out what is REALLY happening on the show then I will comment on that- not on rumors that are needlessly posted here.

Comment by SL — December 23, 2011 @ 5:37 pm

16. Agree SL,
    I like spoilers gives me a hint of what COULD happen, but until the episode airs can’t really say anything.

Comment by Kimberly — December 23, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

17. I hope that Bobby is not dead , some of you people blame writers and others for Bobby dying , but maybe Jim Beaver wanted written out of the show maybe he wanted to do something different.

Comment by Cathy — December 23, 2011 @ 7:29 pm

18. Jim loves being Bobby on SPN and he tweets about it too. Yes I do blame the writers and showrunners when they mess up. I blame them cause it’s not the fans that really run the series.

I teeted with one of the SPN directors who just bragged about the Elliot Ness episode where Dean goes back in time. The director was like you will see NESS , but I thought he meant the Loch Ness monster from Scotland.LMAO!

I tweeted back that being born in the 80′s ,I never heard of Elliot Ness. These SPN writers born in the 50′s ,60′s or 70′have to update their SPN stories .

The Jersey Devil was an ok idea for an episode but of course it was never about the Jersey devil.??

I think that Bobby will return, but honestly I think if the J’s get a season 8…that it will be the last season.

Season 7 beganned great but after Dean killed mama monster Amy…it was down hill. It was the Amy focus, brothers again and again apart. The same old same crapola.

I think the old friend refers to the sherrif lady ,who is Bobby’s old friend not Sams. Unless Bobby returns then I don’t count as the sherrif as an old friend of Sam.???

Comment by ozzie — December 23, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

19. @Erin If fans check out because SUPPORTING characters are being killed off, sorry but they weren’t much of fans to begin with anyway. I find it disturbing some fans care more for supporting characters than the heroes of the show which is what SPN is about the Winchester brothers. That’s how the show became popular in the first place in teh beginning it was just Sam and Dean and those were the golden days of the show. I don’t recall this being the Bobby and Cas. If you’re not Sam or Dean your time is numbered that’s the way it has always been on SPN.

Also I would like to hear an explanation as to how the ratings are suffering because Cas is gone. Look more closely the drop in ratings occurred before Castiel even left. Don’t understand that logic but if you want to point fingers and call it fact inexplicably go ahead.

I love Bobby but I do believe the boys became too reliant on him. Maybe it’s best the travel the journey alone from now on as much as I will miss the character. It seemed like the boys couldn’t do a simple hunt without calling Bobby for some direction or help. They can figure it out on their own can’t they? Lazy.

I also wish the writers would STOP separating the brothers. This will be two episodes in a row the boys go on their own separate adventures. Dean goes off and does all the cool stuff, Sam stays behind and tries to figure it out. Put them back in the freaking impala TOGETHER hunting for crying out loud. The show is about the bond between the brothers, yet they seem to go their separate ways an awful lot.

Comment by Sara — December 23, 2011 @ 9:15 pm

20. Well said Sara

Comment by Kimberly — December 23, 2011 @ 9:57 pm

21. I love Bobby just as much as the rest of you and hated the thought of him being dead. Unlike some of you though, I don’t plan to stop watching the show if he does turn out to be just that. The last episode was a great send off to a great character. I’ll be happy if he somehow lives, but than what was the point of that great last episode. You have to take the show for what it is at it’s core though…a show about the bond between two brothers who travel the country hunting supernatural beings. Occasionally there might be recurring characters in their lives, like their father or the Trickster, but in the end it will always be about two brothers.

Comment by Allen92909 — December 23, 2011 @ 10:56 pm

22. Another Well Said Post
    Allen92909

Comment by Kimberly — December 23, 2011 @ 11:00 pm

23. Castiel is a figment of Sam’s imagination???

Comment by Johno — December 24, 2011 @ 1:30 am

24. I watched Supernatural since the pilot and will continue to watch until the shows real Swan Song ends the series , but it doesn’t mean that I have to like everything that Gambles or the writers put on the tv screen every Friday.

Bobby’s bullet scene was a waste and I could not understand seeing Sam and Dean run PASS senior Bobby , start the truck and be like WHERE IS BOBBY?
    In season 1 & 2 Sam and Dean would have grabbed Bobby , pushed him in the truck and both brothers taken a bullet for their old friend. Writers on SPN this season suck raw eggs.

Comment by ozzie — December 24, 2011 @ 11:06 am

25. It’s possible that the appearance of the time God has something to do with Bobby dying. So maybe Dean finds a way to convince the God of time to bring Bobby back in exchange for him going back in time for something?

Comment by Mindy — December 24, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

26. “While trying to figure out how to retrieve his brother, Sam is surprised by the reappearance of an old friend.”
    Hmm,old friend…
    Bobby? Castiel?
    If it is Cas,I’m sure he can bring back Bobby no prob like in the season finale of Season 5

Comment by sleter — December 25, 2011 @ 7:06 am

27. Collins will be back in episode 7-17 and not as Castiel? So my guess is Collins returns as human Jimmy or a Leviathan baddie.

Old friend is supposed to be Bobby’s sheriff lady , who I would not consider an old friend of the brothers , since they hardly know her. Maybe Bobby from the spirit world helps Sam help Dean.

To be honest , episode 7-12 the time eppie will be just another episode for DEAN /Jensen to again look HOT in a new SUIT. Lol.

Comment by ozzie — December 25, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

28. Sorry ozzie but I don’t remember the news that said that Collins is not returning as Castiel. When did that happen? Last I checked, they purposely didn’t reveal what Castiel would or would not return as. Also, I’m not trying to push buttons or anything, but I’m extremely unhappy that Bobby is getting killed off. I’m hoping that the writers will write him back in (maybe as a ghost) somehow. I know alot of people want the show to only have the two brothers but I feel that supporting characters are important. Bobby has always been the character the boys go to for information they can’t find themselves and to help them with their drama. I do think the boys should definitely be the main focus of the show but I also think it would be a shame to get rid of Bobby. I wasn’t happy about what happened to Castiel and now they wanna take Bobby away too. Just seems like the writers are trying to take away the boys’ support system. I just feel that the show needs more than just Sam and Dean all the time. The boys are important, yes. But so are the supporting characters.

Comment by Jessica — December 25, 2011 @ 7:25 pm

29. Also, @Sara, I agree with you that the writers need to stop separating the brothers. The boys are meant to be together (and not in a sexual way). Hasn’t that been proven time and again? I mean, Dean left Lisa to be with his brother and Sam left Sarah behind to continue the hunt with his brother. They need to stop separating them. And they need to have Sam trying to figure out what is going on with Dean. I was in love with Season 1 because Sam seemed to know his brother so well (when to push, when not to) and was blunt about trying to get his brother to open up. Now he’s just looking the other way. Not liking that at all.

Comment by Jessica — December 25, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

30. I also agree with @SL and @Kimberley, not gonna pass judgment on the episodes until they air. Otherwise, we all just get heated about what we think MIGHT happen.

Comment by Jessica — December 25, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

31. I actually find it interesting that everyone’s complaining about the writers separating the brothers. On the one hand, the relationship between them is the main reason I watch the show, but there have been some amazing episodes in the past where they’ve been separated the whole time. “The End”, anyone? And of course “Free to Be You and Me”, and “What Is And What Should Never Be”. YMMV of course, but personally they’re some of my favourite episodes. So I’m not going to judge these episodes until I see them.

Old friend…I’m coming up short here. I don’t suppose there’s any chance they can fanwank Gabriel back to life? Not that he’s a friend, exactly, but it would solve the time travel issue…

Comment by tash — December 26, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

32. im hoping that the surprise comeback is Gabriel/Trickster, I just think that would be AMAZING!

Comment by Nick — December 27, 2011 @ 1:20 am

33. Bobby does die and the old friend is lucifer because the wall in SAMs head is still down and the death of bobby crushed Sam.

Comment by Taylor Arnold — December 27, 2011 @ 4:07 am

34. I doubt that we will see Sam go all out EMO over Bobby’s passing/ or limbo/coma/ state. This show has always shown Sam as being the more introverted brother with his personal issues and own drama.

If anything according to Gambles and her not so creative writers …Dean will go ALL OUT REVENGE mode about Bobby and go after the Leviathan corporate leader and I think this is where Collins will fit in…in episode 7-17.

I can see Dean killing ”DICK” and then he sees that the real leader is the new bad ass Collins as the real Leviathan leader all of this time.

Sam will be in the back ground trying not to let his other shoe drop and trying to keep it together to help his more dramatic older brother and his very EMO on screen pains.

Comment by ozzie — December 27, 2011 @ 4:32 am

35. Gamble will never keep Sam in the background. He hasn’t been in the background this season-he even saved the day in the supposedly Deancentric Defending Your Life. If you think he is, it’s probably just because you’re not getting what YOU want for the character. I’m pretty sure this is the line that has been being spouted to the few Deanfans left here, and who have still been posting here-albeit rarely-for the last 2 seasons. So welcome to the club.

Comment by Sarah2 — December 27, 2011 @ 6:38 am

36. I have been irritated that we never get a read on how Sam feels during these tragedies and it becomes all about how Dean is doing. Dean isn’t the only one who’s lost someone you know.

However I actually think Sam may actually be the stronger of the two (emotionally that is). Even in the midst of a tragedy the character tries his best to keep on going, spends all his time worrying about how Dean deals with his grief instead of his own, and is proactive as we see Sam going on a hunt rather than seeking revenge. Not to mention how Sam patiently takes Dean’s mood swings and punches during his grieving process but of course that’s just dean. The problem is that it would be nice to see inside Sam’s head as well.

Of course during tragedies we rarely do, Sam often suffers silently and no one ever seems to acknowledge that he is grieving as well. Sam is stronger than more people realize. It’s easy to fall apart when you’ve lost someone you love, it’s even harder to keep on going. This is just how Sam and Dean deal with their grief. Everyone deals with grief differently. Dean is just more upfront about everything and is actually the one who wears his heart on his sleeve.

I don’t know if the writers just only care about how Dean feels because they love to showcase him before Sam a lot, or this is simply showing the different way these two characters deal with tragedy. Since we have seen this since season 2.

Comment by Sara — December 27, 2011 @ 7:27 am

37. Ozzie & Sara, when has Sam ever been quiet about his feelings. He cried and grieved very openly when Jessica was killed. He cried and grieved when John died and tried to push Dean into admitting he wasn’t fine. He is always very vocal about his feelings and is often pushing Dean to be vocal about his but Dean always claims he’s fine.

Sam is anything but introverted. I don’t know where the notion that Sam is under developed or unexplored as a character. He’s gone threw many changes and is always given the opportunity to express freely.

In season 4 where he went threw the greatest changes. He told Dean how he tried to bring him back and how devastated he was over Dean’s death and it was further illustrated in flash backs. He was constantly confiding in Ruby about his concerns about Dean being too weak and broken. He was anything but quiet about his desire for revenge on Lilith constantly talking about it with Ruby Dean and Bobby. He even discussed his concerns about everything including his drinking demon blood with Chuck.

Sam has never been silent about his feelings. How is it people are imposing Dean’s bad habits on Sam and complaining about it?

Comment by Haley 56 — December 27, 2011 @ 7:58 am

38. Actually if you watch Everybody Loves a Clown, the whole episode is actually centered around how Dean is doing. Sam may have displayed a bit of emotion but my point is that it wasn’t spread out all over the screen. Can you honestly look at that episode and say it was all about how Sam felt? Not really it was pretty Dean centric. Sam pushed Dean into admitting he wasn’t fine when he clearly wasn’t? Wow excuse Sam for caring and being worried about Dean. yes he focuses on Dean’s feelings which is part of my point, that’s not acknowledging SAM’s feelings but Dean’s.

Yes in season 4 it was nice to actually get in Sam’s head for once. However, Sam was the only one who went through any grief in that instance and I’m referring to when BOTH of them do. As for the rest of what you mentioned in season 4, not really relevant since I’m speaking specifically about dealing with grief. I’m not talking about Sam’s feelings in general, but how he deals with his grief during a tragedy and how he seems to be either emotionally neglected or cut off at least compared to Dean.

Regarding sesason 1, yes we do see Sam grieve of course again Dean hardly knew Jess so Sam was only in his grief so we can’t really compare there. But Sam has become more introverted about how he feels throughout the seasons and this was towards the beginning.

Yes Sam shows flashes of emotion in these cases, but Dean’s tend to be all over the episode which is my point. Look at Death’s Door, Sam stood silently brooding in the corner the whole time and Dean takes his anger out on the world. You tell me how Sam was not silent about his feelings in the recent episode. What I’m saying is that when the boys go through a tragedy Dean’s feelings are the center and Sam’s are in the background and only shown in brief flashes if at all. It would be nice to see how he feels a little more.

Comment by Sara — December 27, 2011 @ 9:10 am

39. I don’t believe that our beloved ‘Bobby’ is dead unless I see what happen in the next upcoming episode ‘Adventures in Babysitting’ where we’ll learn the truth about Bobby’s fate whether he survives or not !! My guess is ‘Bobby survives’ but at a price..May be he’ll stay in the coma for a while or he’ll lose his memory …I can’t wait for these two more weeks to see our boys back ..!!!thank God we didn’t have to wait that long this ‘Hellatus’..

Comment by raiko — December 27, 2011 @ 10:22 am

40. So Good and Bad new
    Good News: Supernatural returns in 10 days
    Bad News: Supernatural returns in 10 days so long away.

Comment by Kimberly — December 27, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

41. Sam was emo over Jessica’s death and weeped when John was killed off , but Sam does hide his feelings and has been pushed into the background many times.

When season 1 aired Sam was in college and kept info of his family a secret. Jessica knew Sam had a brother Dean, but that really about it.

I used to think that Sam was the outward wayward son, cause he wanted a normal life and had college friends…but then in the RT66 eppie we learned that Dean told Casandra everything…about the family bussiness, something that even Sam never told Jess. I was in shock when that was revealed.

Then it wasn’t until the HOME eppie that Sam was finally forced to reveal to Dean about his psychic abilities …which Dean wasn’t too pleased about.

Then in season 4, Sam kept Ruby 2 a big secret and the demon blood drinking , thanks to EK and his writing crew.

Truth be told in 7 seasons Sam has been shown as being more introverted than Dean and more secretive …than Dean. Dean has kept his own secrets from Sam…but even Dean revealed that he’s not good at keeping secrets from Sam. Sam is better at it. Dean learned from Castile what Sam was doing bad with Ruby 2 ,and Dean learnned via DEATH that Sam was having Hallucinations…which angerred Dean.

It was Dean seeing Sam act strange that finally had Dean in episode 2 of season 7…push for questions from Sam. As Dean told Sam…don’t tell me that you are ok!

So yup, Sam is the more introverted of the 2 brothers and yes…Dean who has been crowned King Drama and the 1 man tear….is the brother with his EMOTIONS and anger spread all over the tv screen.

DEAN too on Jan 6th will display his EMO WAYS of high emotions and anger in episodes 7-11 & 7-12 .

Comment by ozzie — December 27, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

42. Here’s the thing that just annoys me about fans. Well one of them.

This fictional world is a brutal one. One that from the very earlier stages took a high body count of hunters. One that each and every year where we are told (by characters) and scene in actions a world where the life of a hunter is a brutal and short one.

When set in said world your two leads cheat death, you must have real consequences to this universe or your universe might as well be One Tree Hill (sorry to fans of that show). To do that you must kill recurring characters. Characters that I am sure not only the fans love, but the writers love as well.

This is supposed to be a drama (and its one thing when the show does out and out humor or meta episodes), but to encase your dramatic setting with the idea that fan favorites can’t be removed is utterly ludicrous takes away the drama.

And those deaths should run the gamet. From casual deaths, to meaningless deaths, to huge noble sacrifice deaths. Because that is how death comes. In all sorts of manors.

And if the show didn’t do that, both the going out with a bang, to the sudden that death came out of the blue, to the death was meaningless then it also takes away the drama of death.

And for the faults of the show (and it does have faults), they generally do death and the realistic body count of their profession justice.

To want the producers to change that is insulting.

Comment by MarkWood — December 27, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

43. @42 Agree 100%. Excellent points. I swear if I hear anymore crying about Bobby (maybe) and Cas being killed off I’m gonna lose it. Perhaps some fans are just used to those put a smile on your face shows that are unrealistic and never kill off any characters. Well that’s not Supernatural. Frankly I don’t understand it this killing characters off is hardly new that has ALWAYS been Supernatural. It’s fine to be upset that they killed a character off and think they made a mistake but to stamp your feet about it and even threaten to stop watching the show is just childish to me.

Really no offense but some of these fans are acting like spoiled brats throwing a temper tantrum because one of the fan favorites is gone. But consider this, some of the best episodes of Supernatural have featured these tragic deaths and I love the fact that SN is daring in this area and is actually realistic. I don’t understand how some fans are expecting sunshine and smiles on this show. The cheating death card really should only apply to our main characters and no one else. I think it makes the show better and more heartbreaking.

Comment by Lilli — December 27, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

44. Great posts
    MarkWood
    and
    Lilli

Comment by Kimberly — December 27, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

45. Iam sorry but the showrunner and writers constantly killing the characters including the leads over and over again has numbed and bored some fans away from this series.

Kripke was asked about why he killed his characters only to bring them back and his answer was ….the name of the series is S U P E R N A T U R A L…which in my opinion was saying that his show should have been called GHOST TOWN…or the Living Dead.

I didn’t even shed 1 tear when Bobby died or Castile went into the lake…BECAUSE after 7 seasons of seeing characters die …only to return from the dead or in some time story episode, I’am already used to and numbed over anyone dying on this series.

Even seeing Dean punch Sam in the head over and over again after 7 seasons is becoming a BIG BORE.

In my opinion there has been too much repetition on the series too. Seeing Sam place a call to Bobby and Bobby in the ER dying was seeing JW ‘S death in season 2 all over again. The entire fiasco bored me .

And before anyone here says well if you are bored stop watching the series…then I will say this…I DVR each episode…so I have the choice to fast forward what I don’t like in each episode to focus on the scenes I love over and over again…which is the Sam and Dean scenes and yes…thats what I’ve been reduce to …because yes the writing on Supernatural has diminished from writing great epic stories like BLOODY MARY, HOOKMAN, WOMAN IN WHITE, HOME, BORN UNDER A BAD SIGN…to Like A Virgin…Time For A Supernatural Wedding…and Wishing Well…ABOUT A GIANT SIZE TEDDY BEAR WHO LIKES PORNO and drinking booze to an anti -gay episode called FIGHT THE FAIRIES to which some dumb ass fans wanted to wear T-SHIRTS in honor of Dean’s FIGHT THE FAIRIES quote.

I like to see some SPN idjiots WHERE THOSE T-SHIRTS on GAY PRIDE WEEK.

Supernatural has become just a show now. Supernatural in 2005 was a GREAT KICK ASS , SCARY HARDCORE SCI-FI DRAMA.

Now sci-fi shows like the WALKING DEAD, BEING HUMAN and even yucky TVD on the CW have passed what SPN used to be.

Comment by ozzie — December 28, 2011 @ 4:25 am

46. Neither of these episode descriptions excites me. We’ve had time travel episodes before. Dean going all revengy over Bobby is dull. We’ve seen that with John over the YED and Sam over Lilith. The brothers have separate storylines again. And none of this can be blamed on Cas. The writers are just out of ideas. No wonder TVline named it one of the years biggest disappointments. And last month AOL listed is as one of the years biggest turkeys. The writers keep killing off interesting characters and recyling plotlines while fans are leaving and/or complaining loudly about the drek they are serving up, except for the small number who just want Sam and Dean season one forever.

Comment by Anisa — December 28, 2011 @ 6:12 am

47. Reponding to comments here- and not the idiotic “spoilers” that are written by bored asses that have nothing better to do than make up things- yes, death is a very real part of this show. Characters do die left and right on this show. But that is not a NECESSITY of this show.

Yes, monsters,demons, etc. get killed off on most episodes. And yes, humans die too. It is, afterall, a horror show and death goes with horror like frosting on a cake.

On this show the two main characters have died over and over and over. They have even gone to Heaven and Hell. And bounced right back after the episode ended.

But killing off a main character- and yes, folks, Bobby is a MAIN character whether you like it or not- is not what makes a show dramatic. Especially on a show where the MAIN CHARACTERS can be counted on one hand and still have fingers left over!

As stated by other posters here, death has been done over and over and over again on this show. So much so that it is almost boring. One of the main complaints about Castiel in season 6 is that he constantly “fixed” everything for the boys with a nod or whatever. So much so that I never felt the boys were in danger. I never feared for their safety or their survival. And when you take away fear from a horror show…..you kill the show.

I don’t know what is happening with Bobby on this show and I won’t know until next month when the show returns.

However if the inept writers and the ass of a showrunner do decide to actually KILL off that character it will definitely put a mortal wound into the show.

Yes, everyone dies and no one is guaranteed survival on a horror show. But the NEED to kill off the only supporting character on the show is NOT THERE.

All it will do is take away a vital part of the boys’ lives and leave one less character for the fans to rely on. And take one more vital element away from the show.

Now I am waiting to find out what happens by watching the show itself. Dean and Sam are there, I watch. But if Bobby goes this show will be going not long after him.

The writers suck and the showrunner is an idiot. The actors are very good but they won’t be able to save their characters if the characters themselves have nobody left to help them.

Comment by SL — December 28, 2011 @ 6:59 am

48. I am here til the end of the show and I have enjoyed the majority of the episodes this year and held my nose through a few stinkers. The biggest problem I see with this season is a lack of a big picture. They seem to set up situations and don’t pay them off. The Leviathan have some potential but then we get boring Dick. Sam’s broken wall has been seriously lacking in drama–wasn’t he supposed to be ruined by it? The Amy situation was told in a few episodes and affected not a thing really. So you are left wondering where this is all going?

I guess I’m fine either way with Bobby being dead or not? I epi was such a good send off for the character that I can see how some think it cheapens what we went through while watching it. OTH, it’s Bobby. My problem isn’t in killing off characters, Torchwood killed off most of the original cast and I loved that show. The problem is constantly bringing them back. Like they are doing it to manipulate the emotions of the audience and then taking it back. Death loses any impact. As much as I hated losing Ianto in TW, the writer was brave not to bring him back at all.

Comment by jace — December 28, 2011 @ 8:08 am

49. I think season 7 has been way better than season 6 was …and the first 4 episodes were great , but then Dean killed Amy ….and it was Amy, Amy , the big Amy secret, which stretched out too long until Sam learned the truth from Leviathan Dean.

The Leviathan were scary too , until they were shown as being corporate and wannabe politicians.

Even the impala was parked underground again or it’s looks and colors changed…to the car Dean is driving now.

Maybe the impala’s contract must be renewd again.?

I just hope that the other half of season 7 , looks like the first eppies we saw and I’am still waiting for Sam’s other shoe to drop and to be honest….Iam more excited about Jared & Gen having their first baby than anything else Gambles produces on SPN.

Comment by ozzie — December 28, 2011 @ 10:57 am

50. I have one big problem with season 7: the leviathans are bad villains. Frankly, they belong in a B-movie from the 1970s, not Supernatural. And just because they burnt down Bobby’s compound does not make them “bad ass”–any fool with a match could have done that.

These things are supposed to be OLDER than angel and man, yet they don’t seem anywhere near as formidable or intelligent as YED, Lilith, Alistair or Lucifer. We were told that God had to create purgatory because they threatened the universe, yet they can be killed by cleaning solution AND be paralyzed with a simple witch’s spell. Plus, I think it’s silly how they keep taunting our heroes by saying things like “I’m going to eat you.”

Another issue with season 7 is that the boys seem to be regressing rather than growing. Am I the only one who is sick of the boys keeping secrets from one another (i.e., killing Amy and seeing Lucifer)? Am I the only one who is sick of Dean constantly being depressed?

Comment by JJA — December 28, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

51. superatural ranks up there with the most creative shows of its time, long live sam and dean, i got your back.

Comment by rob a wilson — December 28, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

52. I agree with the comments that the Levi had great potential and then fell flat with the occupy Wall Street joke. The “I’m going to eat you” is just silly.

I also agree that the showrunner is a dumb ass who lacks a big picture. After last season and then what we’ve seen so far this season seriously makes me believe that she cannot deliver a story. She doesn’t have a clue of what to do with the Sam and Dean characters she inherited, so she fiddles with people like Amy, Becky, and now Bobby.

Yes, S7 is better than S6 and a lot less than all of those that came before. I, too, am more excited to see the arrival of Jared and Gen’s baby and what they name it than about any of the teasers that I’ve seen.

What I am curious about when the show starts up again is to see if Dean’s threat to Dick meant anything, or if it is just more Dean huffing and puffing that we’ve seen over the last 2.5 years. There’s great potential in seeing Dean go nuts, and there is great potential in seeing if Dick really was afraid of Dean when he rolled up that window.

From what I’ve seen of Sam’s story this season, I’m not seeing any potential there at all. Sure, Sam could relapse, but that has nothing to do with the Levi story and the Amy story is dead and buried (thank God and all the angels), so I don’t know what they can do with Sam this late in the game that would be interesting.

I don’t care if Bobby lives or dies. Death really means nothing in this show, so if he dies, he’ll be back as some ghost. Maybe he chooses not to go with the reaper and ends up helping the brothers from beyond. That would be stupid, but that’s a world these writers often live in.

If Bobby lives, he’ll be out of the picture until late in the season and show up just in time to help the brothers out…when they decide to quit running and take on the Levi somehow.

What we do know is that first two episodes look like stand-alones, so the Levi story isn’t going to be picked up for a while anyway.

Comment by Sheri — December 28, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

53. I am saddened to see the death of Bobby I am kinda annoyed at such a great character going and Jim Beaver is a fantastic Actor I will miss him muchly. Still they can bring him back – hey if Cas is returning anything is possible : ) I am looking forward to the new episodes : )

Comment by MandyLee — December 28, 2011 @ 11:43 pm

54. I too am sad Bobby may be dead, but frankly, Sam and Dean now fit that older, experienced Bobby-role more than they do the “kids” who need constant advice or saving. These two guys are the most experienced hunters in the world. They’ve had a 7-year tour of duty that would make any soldier an honored and respected veteran.
    Furthermore, Ackles and Padalecki, like Dean and Sam, are not kids anymore either. Surely Dean and Sam have grown into men. (as have the two actors) If the series is to go on much beyond season 7, it needs to let Dean and Sam grow up. Having two 30-somethings play teenage angst and confusion is getting embarrassing and, as many have said, repetitive–and with each repeat less interesting and more actor age-inappropriate.
    Having said all that, I don’t know how you transition Dean and Sam into the mature characters they deserve to be and keep an audience, but I’d like to think the Winchester brothers grew into admired heroes of the hunting world, not perpetual teen boys confused about who they are and how to proceed as hunters. They ought to be the one’s giving advice and doing the saving, not the one’s constantly in need of advice and being saved.

Comment by CaseyT — December 29, 2011 @ 6:57 am

55. Good points Casey. I love Bobby but that’s why his character was becoming problematic. It felt like he was doing the babysitting and guiding them through every hunt even the simple salt and burn hunts. They were beginning to look incompetent. You do feel like Sam and Dean are the young kids and Bobby was more of the Daddy in the situation and at their age that is no longer appropriate. It’s one thing to have a mentor but Bobby is much more than that and frankly the boys don’t need Bobby to hold their hand. They DO need to let the characters grow up.

I love Bobby but perhaps it’s best he step back and we get back to Sam and Dean. These supporting characters they’ve become WAY too dependent on actually hold the boys back I don’t care how popular or entertaining they are. Ultimately it hurts the characters of Sam and Dean, I don’t mind saying goodbye to supporting characters they aren’t the ones driving the show. The Winchesters are and always will.

Some fans should know better than to get so attached to any character that’s not Sam or Dean. Bobby lasted MUCH longer than any other character. But if it’s time for him to go, it’s time for him to go. Of course we all know, dead characters in some shape or form usually come back especially the popular ones. Let’s move on and let Sam and Dean grow as characters and as men.

Comment by Sara — December 29, 2011 @ 7:43 am

56. i heard awhile back that jo harvelle would be guest starring in a few eps. don’t recall if it’s S7 or S8 though.

Comment by kris — December 29, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

57. The overall problem is this: many of the current writers, particularly Gamble, are unable to write creatively or see the forest for the trees (seemingly no cohesive, long-range vision for each season).
    I love the show, I really do, but it either needs some fresh writers and a Gamble-replacement or it needs to perhaps end by season 8 at the latest. As a fan I want the show to continue, but all shows come to an end at some point and if the quality isn’t going to improve then I would much rather have the show end sooner but with some amount of dignity, as opposed to simply having it on longer only to be cancelled because it has become a critically panned show with abysmal ratings. Whether we like it or not, the latter is the (arguable) path that Supernatural is on currently and will continue to be on if nothing is done about the writing.

Comment by Amara — December 29, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

58. Supernatural has been taken over by illuminated writers since season 6. They made it seem gradually. They’re mocking the ethics Supernatural had in the past episodes. They said ‘We run the show now’ on Season Premiere 7. They wanna destroy the good image because it was teaching too much and saying a lot. If you paid attention at all… Thank you Eric. You’re a true hero. All of you who attempted the ‘white’ nonsense.

Comment by Lazarus — December 30, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

59. The PUBLIC, CONTAMINATED water is the metaphor for the dark influence on a show that people trust and will listen to.

Comment by ReptilianJoseph — December 30, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

60. Bobby is a VITAL character on this show and is needed to keep the show going with any kind of depth at all. The sign of a good show in its death throes: killing off the ingredients that made it good in the first place.
    Some fans should learn that the quality of a show is enhanced by a good supporting cast/character and that the central characters only benefit from having good steady co-stars to work with and off of.
    Some posters here should get over the constant “Dean and Sam are the only thing that matters on this show” and realize that Dean and Sam are human characters in their realm and like HUMAN characters they need a support base to rely on and to work with.
    All shows have STARS- but they also have a supporting cast. Without that those shows quickly become stale and go off the air,
    The sign of inept writers: constantly killing off vital characters.
    The sign of a dying show: whittling the cast down to the bare bones.
    I guess when Jared takes much-deserved time off to spend with his wife and child next month, Jensen can just act alongside…..himself.

Comment by SL — December 31, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

61. I agree that support characters are important, but the fact is they should NEVER take over a show, as Cas did and as Bobby has with his two-part character building episode. It’s not the characters that is the problem for me…it’s the importance given to those characters at the expense of Sam and Dean; the leads that have been relegated to the background for the last 1.5 years.

This show has had some exceptional support characters in the past, and they played their part in making the series interesting. Never was the show turned over to them and their characters developed more than the leads.

I’d like to see the writers re-populate the SPN-verse this season, but with people more interesting than Amy, Garth, Don Stark, and Frank Devereaux and with characters that aren’t dead and gone and repeatedly brought back as ghosts (Jo), miraculously alive in a different form (Cas) or in dream scenes (Rufus and Ellen)…and my goodness, how I miss Rufus who should not have been killed off for no good purpose.

Comment by Sheri — December 31, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

62. First, I agree that there was no reason at all to kill off Rufus. He was on the show so rarely but when he was there he added so much. What was his reward from the show runner for how much he added to the series? He was killed.
    Just because an episode (or two) “focused” on Bobby does not warrent in any way at all the character being killed off. Why there is this rampant fear by certain people that if the camera is not focused on Dean and Sam (and for many people here ONLY on Sam) the supporting character is “taking over the show” I can not fathom. Bobby does not take away anything at all from Dean and Sam when he is on camera; he adds to them. He gives them more depth and makes them more human. Comparing Bobby in any way at all to Castiel is really very narrow-minded. Bobby has always been family to the boys and he has definitely been a surrogate father to them (even though certain posters here hate that fact). He has importance and meaning in their lives and he is necessary to this show.
    Bobby is vital to the relationship of the two boys and he does nothing to diminish them in any way.
    Jensen and Jared both raved about the last episode and I am certain did not feel for a second that Jim Beaver “stole” anything from them.
    If the asses running this show kill off Bobby Singer they will not only have STOLEN from the Winchesters but they will have stolen from the viewers as well.
    And those of us who are more open-minded and not paranoid about a single tiny second of camera time being stolen away from Dean or Sam, value Bobby very much and will definitely not support the idiots who may kill him off.

Comment by SL — December 31, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

63. Man, Bella is gonna come back….You just watch. Who else thinks so?

Comment by Arielle — December 31, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

64. The thing with SN is that in a way, we have new supporting characters every week. Let’s not forget the guest stars we have every episode. Yes we usually only see them once but I think they deserve some recognition too. It’s not like it’s just Sam, Dean and Bobby. Is there a requirement that supporting characters be recurring guest stars? Because even guest stars we only see in the one episode serve the same purpose of a supporting character sometimes.

That’s how everything was in season 1, it was all Sam and Dean and other than maybe a couple recurring guest stars the supporting characters actually became guest stars (or whoever they were saving). And you know what like it or not, season 1 worked. I think that’s why so many fans are okay with losing a supporting character, just Sam and Dean with a bunch of one time characters seemed to work. SN is not your typical show we don’t have a whole cast of 6 or 7 people we just have the two.

The issue with the supporting characters is that they DID take over the series IMO but I think that only pertains to Castiel, I didn’t really see that with Bobby. And who’s to say they won’t introduce new characters, characters come and go in tv shows all the time. Not to mention that from the beginning of the season, we heard that Sam and Dean were going to lose everything- well this is it.

I’ll really miss Bobby and his relationship with the boys though but let’s face it we’ll probably see him again anyway. No one but John seems to be really dead on this show.

Comment by Sara — January 1, 2012 @ 4:23 am

65. The point about Bobby is that there is absoloutely NO NEED to kill him off. Killing off central characters on a series that has been on as long as this one is definitely a sign of inept showrunning and lousy writing.
    The only thing keeping this series alive are the characters on this show. Start killing them off this show will drop dead.

Comment by SL — January 1, 2012 @ 6:12 am

66. I agree there was no reason to kill off Bobby. The series has never been driven for any lengthy period by him, as Castiel did. The two-part Bobby-exit appears to be just that: a two-part Beaver-centered interlude as a tribute to a long-time supporting actor.
    I also agree that the series needs new supporting characters or actors; they need to take a chance on some unknowns who can bring something fresh to the series and/or bring in new actors to play some of the old characters to breathe new life into them. Relying on established supporting characters with the same actors runs into the problem of actor availability. Mark Sheppard and Mark Pellegrino are well established character actors, in demand and working regularly in other places. Building recurring stories around them is difficult. There schedule actually determines how much you can develop a story around them. Sam’s Lucifer hallucinations as a story is clearly limited by Pellegrino’s availability. Beaver already has another role as well. I’d say bringing Collins back has a lot to do with the fact that that actor is not in much demand (except on another CW series for one episode.) Hopefully when he does come back, Collins will play a new character.
    Krepki seemed to realize that you can change actors;key characters like Lilith or Ruby were played by multiple actors. I wish Sera would learn that. If we can’t get new characters, at least, bring in new actors. At present, Sera is allowing the story arc to be dictated by actor availability; how about some recasting? Some new actors we would not like, but surely a few would click with the audience. No reason Lucifer, Crowley, even Castiel have to be played by the same actors. Those characters could easily take new meat-suits. Just a suggestion since I agree the supporting character level in SPN needs new life.

Comment by CaseyT — January 1, 2012 @ 9:03 am

67. In addition to what CaseyT states, re: building stories around recurring character actor availability, when stunt actors are cast, as they are being this season, the work is then not available for good character actors. This show has had some really good character actors over the years that I enjoyed very much. I see no reason that the hunter community cannot be built up with good character actors whose characters are not killed off, but can be used again. That’s what I thought they would do with Rufus before they killed him off.

Of course, I’m still wondering if the CW is going to fold after this season…no message boards, little advertising for their shows, the way this season is headed on SPN with all the killing off…hum ?? makes me wonder.

Comment by Sheri — January 1, 2012 @ 9:57 am

68. @66 CaseyT. I’m agree with you CaseyT because SG is bind with the avaibility of the actor as Pellegrino and she can’t go on for example with Sam’s Lucifer hallucinations. You have absoluty reason to say “Krepki seemed to realize that you can change actors;key characters like Lilith or Ruby were played by multiple actors” because she can’t wait if an actor is available or not.

Comment by milly — January 1, 2012 @ 10:51 am

69. I think that Supernatural will get a season 8 , but with ratings low and the SPN stories not what they used to be , I think season 8 will be the last season and that the brothers will be killed off by Gambles ala Butch & Sundance , because it’s how the Js want to go out.

I honestly have been so perplexed at why these SPN writers get paid to create great stories and attimes do but many times don’t.

Seasons 1 ,2 had like a 99% ratio of great scary stories with great characters like the YED, JW, MEGAN, BLOODY MARY, WOMAN in WHITE, HOOKMAN and the psychic kids,.. and 3 and part of season 4 and 5 had great too,like Lucifer , grandpa Samuel, Death, Ruby 1 and 2 , Castiel…but then the writers beganned to get away from what made Supernatural a big wanna see scary sci-fi hardcore cult hit series.

They pitted the brothers too much against eachother, created too many angel stories. The writers stripped Dean of his ring, beloved necklace and his impala.

The Castiel character to keep (Misha ) fans happy , was used as the new form of transportation for the brothers , and therefore Dean used less of his impala baby.

The scary scenes of the brothers working at night was replaced by more daylight scenes and too many magical / fantasy scenes were used to place the brothers in useless situations where they went from getting their finger nails dirty or using brain research ,..to looking up at the sky for help from their winged friend Castiel.

Instead of two main characters in CW promos…we saw 3 characters promoted TOO MANY TIMES…so the series had strayed away from the basic concept of two brothers hunting together doing the family business.

Gambles then in season 6 ,gave us complete mess.
    I was happy to see that Sam came back souless , because falling in the pit with Lucifer meant ,that Sam returning would be at a high price.

Gambles’ mistakes in season 6…was just too many stories. The angel saga should have ended when Sam went into the pit with Lucifer.

Castiel could have return in season 6 to tell Dean that God was back on his throne and punishing his angelic children. Castiel/Collins could have still been used in several episodes of season 6 to help the brothers out…especially Sam get his soul back.

Domesticated Dean story by Gambles should never have happenned. Even Jensen felt it was a waste of time and expressed his displeasure about it.

Can’t understand too why the Campbells came back , only to be killed off and Mary’s dad look like an evil man. What a waste. Even the teen mama of ALL MONSTERS was a complete waste.

Castiel should have checked all the Campbells and informed Dean that all his relatives were souless soldiers working for Crowley . That would have been a better story arc. Castiel coming to help Dean, help Sam and his souless family members against demon Crowley wanting to replace Lucifer as King of Hell.

IT BAFFLES ME over and over that these paid SPN writers and Showrunner Gambles can’t write a great sci-fi scary series anymore about TWO BROTHERS WORKING TOGETHER STILL DOING THE FAMILY BUSINESS…instead they seem to write more indepth details for one brother and write only scratch surface material for the other brother and promote that the brothers are working together but every season show us the brothers working A P A R T and one constantly physically hitting the other on the head until eventually brain damage will set in.

Iam glad I DVR each SPN episode so that I can fast forward to the brother scenes , but lately a lack of that has been fast forwarding straight through from the beginning until the end.

Iam still waiting for a Supernatural episode titled BETWEEN BROTHERS…but I can only dream of it or watch for SPN FAN FICTION. *__*

Comment by ozzie — January 1, 2012 @ 11:20 am

70. @69 Excellent point of view ozzie.

Comment by milly — January 1, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

71. Killing off important characters happens ALL the time in shows of a substantial quality. It’s called story progression. Watch any real show and you’ll see real hitters hitting the deck. Take Boardwalk Empire for example. They just killed off arguably the main character, and without doubt the most interesting character, in Jimmy Darmody. In comparison to that move, the loss of Bobby is nothing (and I LOVE Bobby). Sam and Dean are the main characters, and the real support cast has always been those who come and then go quickly: a realistic representation of life on the road, and as a hunter.

Comment by Johno — January 1, 2012 @ 1:28 pm

72. @45: Agreed with everything you said…except for the part about the SyFy Being Human show surpassing/passing Supernatural. I’ve watched that show a few times, and the actors seem canned and corny. No offense. Now, if you said BBC’s Being Human, then I’d agree a little bit. The chemistry of the British actors on that show are similar to the J2: Everything worked, until one of the main characters was killed off (i.e., Mitchell the Vampire). Character revisions are necessary, even if the show might suffer a little bit. Ah well. I won’t bag on the writers, because believe me, if I were in their positions, I probably would have switched roles of Dean and Sam: Dean as Lucifer and Sam as Michael. LOL or not. Don’t mind me.

Comment by Kitovinez — January 1, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

73. @ Johno #71: Exactly, Johno. Bobby has never been an important plot character so, other than liking the character or Jim Beaver in particular, I don’t see that it makes any difference whether he lives or dies (although I think he’ll live and just be out of the action for a while)…except, as you say, the realistic representation of life on the road as opposed to the scene set feel that was seen in S6. Cas, on the other hand, changed the plot twice. We’ll see what he does this time.

Comment by Sheri — January 1, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

74. Okay, not trying to push any buttons but if people are DVR’ing the episodes and fast forwarding through to the brother scenes, how do you know that the rest of the scenes suck? I mean, are you assuming that they are because they have other characters in them? I’m just saying that how can you have a full opinion if you don’t watch the full episode? Unless you have only begun to do this more recently. That I would understand. I’m not trying to make anyone angry, I’ve just always been a believer that you can’t have a well-formed, educated opinion unless you have all the facts. It’s like someone saying that a movie must suck because the previews looked crappy. I’ve seen people do that and miss out on a totally awesome movie. Just saying.

Comment by Jessica — January 1, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

75. I think it would be cool if the friend that Sam meets is the little Anti-Christ(Jesse)from season five. Where did he disappear to, and what has he been up to. As powerful as he is supposed to be, I am sure he could swing time travel. I would also like to see Sam meet up with Sarah Blake again, they made an adorable couple. She also knows what he does.

Comment by MJ — January 2, 2012 @ 8:05 am

76. MJ-like both of your suggestions. Jesse is the classic dropped plotline. And its wonderful to see Sarah Blake mentioned again; for a one episode character from season 1, she had a lasting impact. (I know you don’t agree Sheri, but I still liked that girl, character and actress.)I thought there was something clicking between the two actors; maybe Gen would nix any reappearance on her part.
    And, a bit more seriously, IMO Sarah is the sort of supporting character I’d like to see: someone the guys could bring into the hunting world. It would be nice to have the boys looked up to as wise and experienced hunters rather than pathetic pawns of whatever angel or demon is manipulating and outwitting them.

Comment by CaseyT — January 2, 2012 @ 8:42 am

77. Jessica, good point. Obviously some people watch the show solely for one character and are only interested in the scenes they are in. Hey, I have watched shows in the past where it was solely a certain actor that drew me to it and if he wasn’t in enough of an episode I passed on the show that week.
    I don’t do that with SN because I like the entire show and I don’t want to miss any part of it.
    Funny how some people here talk about bringing back characters from the past (that are at least still alive). Why? So you can watch them be killed off? Because that is all that happens to co-stars on this show. They all get killed off.
    Now, you know, if this show had excellent writers and a showrunner that actually KNEW the two main characters, it could probably run another season or two without any costars sticking around for more than an hour. But this show has LOUSY writers and a showrunner that has no idea who the main characters are. So killing off the only supporters the boys have on the show (like Bobby) just means the show- sadly- will be killed off soon too.
    What a waste of a good show and good characters and good actors.

Comment by SL — January 2, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

78. @ CaseyT: I didn’t dislike Sarah’s character…I just thought that the actress was pretty, but couldn’t act (same with Cassie). Sarah’s character wasn’t bad. She was intelligent, didn’t have to smart off like a hormonal teenager to show she was tough and could kick any man’s butt. She didn’t back down when she encountered the MotW, and; mostly, she didn’t put either brother down like they were too stupid to be breathing the same air as her. And this was in an episode when Dean was being a complete, obnoxious dodo to her father.

Yet, you know my feelings on hooking either brother up with a love interest on this show. We would just get the stupid Lisa thing again, except with Sam. I don’t think I can stomach any more soap than there already is on this show.

Comment by Sheri — January 2, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

79. Anyone going to comment on Misha’s return? I’m surprised the forum didn’t post a thing about it. He’s supposed to be back for at least 3 episodes in the second half of this season, though it’s unsure whether he’ll be Jimmy, Cas, or the creepy Leviathan thing he was before. I’m not at all surprised that he will be back. I liked his character, but never expected him to be on much past season 5.

Comment by Allen92909 — January 2, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

80. I love this show. It is about two brothers struggling with difficult choices. I thought that Bobby was important to the story because he connected the brothers, gave them someone to talk to about each other. Provided them with a “home” I will miss Bobby if he’s dead, but I don’t figure he’ll be gone forever. I do think that he had a great send off though. Yes, the characters show their emotions differently. That’s what makes them human. I don’t know why the Lisa and Ben story bothered so many. The domestication of Dean lasted 1 episode. Once Sam returned, it was over. I thought it was very credible that Dean could love someone and being a father to Ben made his character mature. Both Jensen and Jared are excellent actors. I do believe the writing has gone south this year. The “Rise of Dick” pun was seriously over done. More of Sam’s wall crumbling should be explored. No one has mentioned the lack of classic rock being used in the shows. When I watch past seasons, I have to say the music was an integral part of the story telling. I think they are spending their money on guest stars this year. I also miss the impala. I think that if an old character were to reappear, Jesse is a great idea. Certainly the boys could meet some new hunters that could have recurring roles. There is plenty of ghosts to kill. If they want to do something different, change the scenery. There are many areas of the country, the boys have not travelled to hunt. Dean & Sam need to get back in the impala, turn the stereo on and hit the road.

Comment by impalagirl — January 3, 2012 @ 5:12 am

81. It will be sad if Bobby is currently truly dead. However, even death isn’t always an impediment to someone coming back in some form. Fingers crossed. As for the “old friend,” what about Jesse, the boy we met back in “I Believe the Children are Our Future”? With his powers couldn’t he manipulate time?
    As for all the dead angels (Gabriel, Balthazar, etc), isn’t the original God still out there? Couldn’t bring one or more back? Can’t wait for the return of Cas! Long overdue.

Comment by Deborah — January 3, 2012 @ 6:37 am

82. @SL, I agree with you except the part where the writers suck. I think that what happened with this show is that before we had Kripke (who could write with the big picture in mind) and now we have Gambles (who has a specific mindset when it comes to writing). She tends to focus on stories about monsters and the like. Which would be okay if she had some kind of flow with those stories and the main plot about the brothers. Unfortunately, she hasn’t been able to translate that over. I also think she was a better writer with Raelle Tucker. I think that if this show was solely for shock value, it would be great. I really like the story of the Leviathans. But I’m still trying to figure out how they have anything to do with the main plot and the brothers. It just seems disjointed to me. I’m hoping she’s going to do much better with this season than last season.

As to how people are only watching certain scenes, I definitely think that they should watch the whole episode. I mean, how can you get anything out of an episode if you don’t watch the whole thing? Bringing back other characters is all well and good but I’m getting tired of them killing off perfectly good characters that would do well if only they expanded on them. It was kind of weird for me when Cas all of a sudden became a Leviathan. It didn’t fit with his whole storyline. Hopefully the writers plan to correct that when he reappears. And killing off Bobby was just plain wrong. It detracts from the whole show. Let’s cross our fingers and hope they correct that in some way.

Comment by Jessica — January 3, 2012 @ 10:53 am

83. So happy that Supernatural is back this Friday!
    Will be very sad if Bobby is no longer with us. I hope it’s not true!

Comment by Elizabeth — January 3, 2012 @ 11:03 am

84. As I see it, the S7 mytharc was weak because the boys weren’t EMOTIONALLY involved in the destruction of the baddies, as they were in earlier seasons. The writers had to find a way of making the hunt for the Levis personal. So they gave “Bobby” more appearances than usual in the first half of the season, emphasizing his importance as the boys’ loving and beloved substitute dad. Now that another member of their “family” has been dreadfully attacked by a big bad, Sam and Dean are emotionally invested in a mytharc hunt.

Aside from wasting one of the best characters played by one of the best actors on television, for the writers to kill off Bobby would be a profoundly stupid move, IMO. First, a competent writer doesn’t keep an audience in suspense by sending a beloved character over a cliff in a truck only to reveal WEEKS later that the truck blew up and the character died. Such transparently exploitive writing has no other purpose than to manipulate the emotions of the audience. As the writers should know, using an amateurish tactic like this would likely elicit anger from many viewers, even causing some to turn against the show.

Second, no matter how beloved a character is, the memory of him soon fades from the minds of viewers. So the intensity of the audience’s desire for revenge for his death can’t be sustained for long. For an entire season, the audience identified with the boys’ desire for revenge against Azazel for what he did to John–but NOT because the baddie killed John. We knew, as the boys did, that John had no peace: he was suffering the hell of the damned. For us to continue to identify with the Winchesters’ hunger for revenge against Roman, the situation must be similar. Terribly injured, unable to take care of himself, a severely impaired Bobby would be a constant reminder to us and the boys that Roman has trapped their “dad” in a living hell from which there is no apparent escape.

Third, if the writers kill off Bobby, they’ll have eliminated the possibility of a terrific “dreadful alternative” (something crucial a hero stands to lose if he doesn’t find a way of defeating his opponent). Bobby saw the contents of the file. Roman knows it and, apparently, he’s very worried that Bobby should reveal all he saw. Evidently, Roman was so determined to learn firsthand about Bobby’s condition, he was even willing to risk press curiosity about why “he” was hanging around outside the hospital. As long as Bobby lives, the Levi’s master plan will be in jeopardy, as might other information about the monsters, including a way to kill them. So, if Bobby survives, he’ll be in constant danger from Roman, which will make it imperative that the brothers discover a way to kill the Levi before he finds and kills their “dad.” This would add to the suspense of the series, as would Bobby’s gradual recovery of his memory of Levi secrets.

On the other hand, Bobby may well die–or, rather, seem to. The fact that he wrote numbers on Sam’s hand, combined with Roman’s presence outside the hospital, is bound to alert the brothers to the fact that Bobby learned important information about the Levis. To protect him, Sam and Dean may fake his death, “burn the bones,” and hide him away. Roman might not learn Bobby is actually alive until later in the season. Maybe we won’t either.

Comment by Taz — January 3, 2012 @ 2:30 pm

85. The Supernatural Conspiracy.

Comment by rob a wilson — January 3, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

86. Taz, excellent post and ideas. Good to hear your imput here.

Comment by SL — January 3, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

87. Thanks, SL, but you summarized the matter of Bobby perfectly: “there is absolutely NO NEED to kill him off.”

Comment by Taz — January 3, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

88. Hmmm, interesting theory, Taz. It would definitely suck if Bobby was killed off but I’d be willing to bet that it is likely to happen. I do have to disagree with you on one point, though. Supernatural has actually cliffhangered us on accidents and killed off characters afterwards. Season 1 ended that way, remember? It does piss the viewers off, yes, but I think that is the point. The more emotional viewers get, the more invested they will be in the show. This actually happens quite alot on TV series. It keeps the people coming back for more when the show returns, wondering what is going to happen. Then, they give you a new storyline to focus on. I do think that it is a bad idea for the writers to kill off Bobby (if only because he is so essential to the boys’ sanity) but I also think that with the show being Supernatural it is entirely possible that they will kill him off only to bring him back later. After all, Mary died in the first episode but came back several times afterwards. Bobby was given the choice of going with the reaper or staying where he was. I think it’s entirely possible that we will not find out the answer to that choice until later in the season. It keeps us hanging and wondering. We’ll see. I’m going to wait and see the next episodes to find out.

Comment by Jessica — January 4, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

89. Hello my friend, your thoughts on this site is really great. Its great material that you have written here. I can not wait to read more of this. Allright, what we see here is really a awsome piece of work. Thank you!

Comment by Toni — April 15, 2012 @ 5:25 pm