“First Blood” Discussion

The boys are back! Post your thoughts on the winter premiere. Click HERE for my full recap or keep reading for my quick thoughts.

True to form, the mid-season premiere wrapped up the cliffhanger while also introducing some major storyline elements for the second half of season 12.

Let’s start with my favorite, the British Men of Letters. Mick’s proposal certainly seems kind of reasonable and their resources are very impressive. I’m curious to see how Mary agreeing to work for the BMOL pans out, especially whether or not she tells her boys. The only real problem is that Mr. Ketch’s solution to every problem is a murder spree. I know it’s wrong, but it really is the only way for Sam and Dean to be free that makes any sense.

Then there’s Billie. When will the Winchesters learn that making a deal is NEVER a good idea? I loved the twist because I completely fell for it. I thought Mary would sacrifice herself, because that’s what Winchesters do, but Cas stepping in to kill Billie was a shock. The bigger question is: What next?

She warned that breaking a deal has “cosmic” consequences and if killing the being you make the deal with fixes everything, this entire show wouldn’t exist. Killing Billie is definitely going to bring something bad and I can’t wait to see what those consequences are. But for now, I can’t be mad at Cas because that was an awesome speech about his love for the Winchesters.

News posted on January 26, 2017 Comments (29)

1. Well I am glad that the episode had smart Dean and smart Sam for a change. I am glad I was wrong about the episode being Sam and Dean lite As an episode it was OK. Not bad not fantastic. It would have been so much better with just focusing on Sam and Dean. We didn’t need cas or Mary in the episode. Once again cas is used just because Collins is there and has to be used. Even though it added nothing to the episode and took away time that could have been used to stretch out the chase scene in the woods. But anyway-good episode. not great though. The “solution” to get out of jail was a little lame but this is Supernatural season 12 with some lame writers.

Comment by animala — January 26, 2017 @ 6:16 pm

2. Love this show
    First Blood…… JJR!!!

Comment by Rinki56 — January 26, 2017 @ 6:25 pm

3. I loved tonight’s episode!!
    AC/DC is back(at least for one episode) as Road So Far music!!
    Take-down Winchester style…and Sam’s line at the end about being ‘the guys who saved the world’
    Mary & Cas teaming up! Mary’s willingness to sacrifice herself for the boys and Cas’ unwillingness to lose the people he cares the most about, including Mary!!
    Episodes like this one reminds me of how awesome this show still is & why we continue to roll down the highway with these stories & characters…bring on the rest of the season & S13!!!

Comment by Sara — January 26, 2017 @ 6:45 pm

4. I didn’t see Billie the Reaper coming, so I found it interesting. I thought it was time for Billie to go, she was getting annoying season after season only offering the brothers death.
    I like when Dean said you are not hunting us we are hunting you. The fact that Mama Winchester was willing to sacrifice herself for her kids, she had not shown much outward love for her sons.
    The season finale was just revealed tonight, Mary working with the BMOL is going to end in one of the brothers doing something foolish to save her and a catastrophe occurs. I am not sure if she will last into next season or the disaster will lead to her death. Overall, Imlime the first episode back for the last halfmof the season.

Comment by Jayday — January 26, 2017 @ 8:37 pm

5. Great episode and props to cas for reminding the Winchesters how important they are to the world and him and have to stop throwing their lives away

Comment by Joshua — January 26, 2017 @ 9:48 pm

6. Supernatural – Episode 12.12 – Stuck In The Middle (With You) – Press Release

RICHARD SPEIGHT JR. DIRECTS – Mary (guest star Samantha Smith) asks Sam (Jared Padalecki), Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Castiel (Misha Collins) for help on a case she’s working but neglects to mention the British Men of Letters are involved. When Mary is double crossed, everything is revealed. Richard Speight Jr directed the episode written by Davy Perez (#1212). Original airdate 2/16/2107.

Comment by Keri — January 26, 2017 @ 10:54 pm

7. Well i enjoyed this one i didn’t think i would it has been a improvement over the first part hopefully it would continue

a couple of things did bug me they won’t give dean an electric razor if they don’t even give them real forks don’t prisoners have shoes with no laces and the big one if they can contact Billie why won’t they be able to contact Cass is Billie stronger in power

in spoilers before the episode aired they did say that their would be people that are loyal to lucifer i did think that the creepy Federal guy was one of those people and he already knew what the Winchester do and that why he was so eager to get them out of the picture

i do agree with one of the statements when Dean killed death it didn’t have any consequences but killing Billie does

i can see that if the Winchesters find out about ketch killing all those people it going to be a huge problem with that so now we starting to see what ketch is about

did any one think the way mick communicated through the typewriter the show ripped off Fringe as soon as i say it that what i was thinking

all in all a great episode

Comment by Keri — January 27, 2017 @ 2:11 am

8. Well that was great i enjoyed it i was a bit disappointed that most of the see evil promo ended up in this episode so i think the bits that wasn’t in this episode will be in the next which means Cass with the veins Sam covering his ears i don’t think there is any of the Regarding Dean spoilers in the See evil promos so must be only the two episodes

Comment by Rachelle — January 27, 2017 @ 2:15 am

9. Loved it!

One small – uhm – complaint……the British Men of Letters ‘borrowed’ a thermal imaging satellite (or some such thing)to locate them?

Huh?!

What about a spell or magic or something Supernatural? Like, remember when Ruby found Dean by burning a map?

Comment by Auggie — January 27, 2017 @ 5:47 am

10. Haven’t watched yet but auggie, I have this problem a lot lately.

Last 4 episodes especially. Where are the supernatural things? These men of letters ruin everything about this show that made it so mysterious/scary.

Comment by Robin — January 27, 2017 @ 6:18 am

11. Not horrible but not good. I guess it was just middle of the road for me. I thought it was a bit of an improvement from episodes past but certainly not what I could call a strong episode.

I work in the industry and the word out there for a very long time has been that JA wanted an episode that would showcase his acting strengths that he could (A) submit for Emmy consideration and that (B) once the series ends, he could submit to producers for future roles. That episode is rumored to be the one in which Dean forgets Sam and regresses. I am by no means a key player in the entertainment business but I am surrounded by key players daily. It’s rare that I hear anything about JA or JP but when I do I like to share.

Comment by Denis — January 27, 2017 @ 6:57 am

12. @11 Denis,
    Thanks a lot for sharing!
    I am glad JA planning to continue acting after show ended and he is taking steps toward reintroduction of himself to Hollywood.
    Looking forward for an episode where Jensen will shine.
    I would love to see Jared on screen after SPN ends as well, but he says he is planning to stay home with his kids and that what makes him happy. So hooray for that.

Haven’t seen episode yet, but overall response online is very positive.

Comment by AAA — January 27, 2017 @ 7:47 am

13. Was going to give this a 5-10 but the last few minutes I’m changing it to a 6.5/10.

First of all: the english idiot writing that story was Metatron all over again. Except this guy was even more annoying. Also that Mr Catch guy was terrible.

I did love one thing: Dean and Sam FINALLY showed why they are the best hunters of all time. The way they got out of the Woods, thats what they are capable off.

Now, when Castiel told the story of him hunting I cringed a lot. Dude, a few years back he walked in and killed a room full of monsters and demons. Now he isn’t even able to track down one silly monster? Sure he isn’t a hunter.. he’s a damn angel for f*ck sake.

The Mary/Cas scenes were very awkward in general. How could she blame Cas for leaving them, she is the one that walked away. Also Cas not being able to find them is really strange since a reaper is also an angel. I get that it would have been to easy to have season 4 type Cas who could fix anything, but this weak, weaker than humans version of Cas is getting really pathetic. This was until the end of the episode.

I hated Billy since the beginning, Julian Riching was a lot better at playing this.

I am glad Mary came through and acted like a mother protecting her sons.

however the biggest moment came at the end: Castiel saving all of them by killing Billy.Nobody even mentioned that in the posts above. Thank you writers for giving him at least this one save. Of course this is gonna turn out bad, but his kill and the speech afterward was beautiful. Nobody can call him selfish now.

Overal okay episode but I hate the non supernatural stuff. Please get back to ghosts and other legends. Looking forward to next episode but also very scared that Cas is gonna be dumbed down again.

Also why was crowley in this episode he didn’t even say more than 3 lines.

Comment by Robin — January 27, 2017 @ 9:24 am

14. Does someone else beside me think that they are setting things up to kill Castiel this season? Just a hunch.

Comment by LG — January 27, 2017 @ 1:07 pm

15. LG

They’ve done it before and Cass gives J2 tme off during seasonal production so its unlikely

Comment by Joshua — January 27, 2017 @ 1:22 pm

16. Josua
    Looks (feels) different this time. The speech at the end. They are giving attention to the friendship and the bond. That usually happens when a character is leaving.
    Last night episode was lame for the character in my opinion. I used to like Castiel so much. It hurts me to see wath is happening with him. He is a celestial being, a powerful angel but he is not able to hunt a vampire.
    I think they are finally giving up on him.

Comment by LG — January 27, 2017 @ 1:41 pm

17. Maybe is a way not to overshadow the main characters.
    Just thinking…
    Good episode though.

Comment by LG — January 27, 2017 @ 1:45 pm

18. @LG completely agree about Cas.

If he does die its him sacrificing his life for the boys. I sure hope its not gonna go like that except when he truly saves their lives. At least hoping for some more interesting episofes.

But what if Cas leaves?

More of the brothers making deals and acting off? Working with terrible MOL? I honestly don’t see how it would improve

Comment by Robin — January 27, 2017 @ 2:27 pm

19. This episode was an improvement from the previous one, which wasn’t hard, to be honest. It was really nice to see Sam and Dean acting badass again.

@LG, I agree about the feeling that Cass might be written off, but I think it’s unlikely. The Js have pointed out several times that they need Misha and Mark to relieve some of the show’s weight on their shoulders, so they can have a little time off. If only. We are stuck with Cass, unfortunately (IMO). Let’s not forget they did write him off in season 7, but Robert Singer wanted him back. He’s really useless as a hunter, but at least he was useful by killing Billie. The speech was good.

Comment by emmanuel — January 27, 2017 @ 3:37 pm

20. Spoilers from EW Magazine interviews

Is Lucifer definitely back in the cage on Supernatural?? — Sara
    At this point, it’s less about where Lucifer is than the fact that he has a child on the way. “In terms of Lucifer: he’s a character that even when he’s back in the cage, he’s been active in our world,” showrunner Andrew Dabb says. “I think the fact that he’s got a kid rolling around out there, he’s not dead. He is still a player in some ways. I think we’re dealing with a world where even if Lucifer is off the table in some ways, his influence will still be felt. In episode 12, we’re introducing a fun extension of our mythology. Some long-forgotten Lucifer lore may come out of the woodwork now that his kid is kind of up for grabs.” Now the question becomes: Who should play him?

The interesting thing is that episode 12 is stuck in the middle
    SOURCE:
    CW

Comment by Keri — January 27, 2017 @ 10:11 pm

21. Lucifer escaped didn’t he? He didn’t go into the egg.

Comment by Robin — January 28, 2017 @ 12:36 am

22. I don’t understand with all of the supernatural beings, why it always require some sort of technology to accomplish anything. The show supernatural is & the focus should be on supernatural beings, friends of the brothers who can use your supernatural powers to help get them out of the Supermax prison.

I think Castiel will remain on the show because Supernatural is trying to do what all shows recently have tried to do which is to establish a team of people as the core of the show. I still think the show is best when it was two brothers fighting demons vampires and beasties alone with occasional help from Bobby or another hunter.

Comment by Jayday — January 28, 2017 @ 12:56 am

23. Random thoughts about episode Ketch killed everyone who knew about what the Winchesters did wouldn’t that include the president did he forget what happened to him because otherwise he would of needed to be told by people around him wouldn’t he need to be killed as well

also what was Sam and Dean expecting after they left that everyone who arrested them would just carry on with there lives and forget about them i think not they wouldn’t know that ketch would clean up this mess

Comment by Emily — January 28, 2017 @ 2:13 am

24. To save his brother, Dean was sliced and diced down to nothing, day in, day out for forty years.To save the world, Sam underwent unspeakable tortures inflicted for more than two earth years by no less than Satan himself. Yet, now we’re told our mighty hunters think being alone in a prison cell is WORSE?

Golly. I guess true heroism belongs to all those convicts brave enough to endure more than six weeks in comfy solitary confinement without offing themselves.

Or did I miss the part the writer should have put in about THE TRULY HORRIBLE THING that would happen to one or more innocent people if a brave Winchester didn’t offer up his life? Did I also miss the explanation for why federal agents would do nothing in the wake of a presidential assault except give the suspects a time out in cozy cells and wait for their confessions? Did I zone out when the writer gave a convincing explanation (for once) for why the Reaper was so obsessed with killing the Winchesters yet incapable of doing so without their permission?

Oh, and then there’s Castiel–that ever handy plot device who’s been hanging out with the two best hunters on the planet for nine years (and happens to be an Angel the size of the Mercury Building to boot) but is too stupid and feckless to do a damned thing to get the Winchesters out of jail. So why did sniveling Castiel turn out to be the hero of the piece? I don’t think it’s because MC is leaving the series. I think it’s because AGAIN the time is coming for Stupid and Feckless to be tortured so the brothers can wring their hands over a character that’s been so weakened his only real function is to elicit pity from his fans.

In short, in a number of respects, I liked “First Blood,” but, sadly, its lazy minded writer forced viewers to swallow even more bologna than was served on the Winchesters’ plates.

Comment by Taz — January 28, 2017 @ 9:39 am

25. This whole episode was really, really good, UNTIL they got to the scene with Billy. Then it took a turn towards the absurd.

Firstly, NO WAY Sam & Dean would make that type of Deal with Billy. And NO WAY would Dean say Hell was better than that prison.

Also, Castiel killing Billy and that awful speech that followed were awful. Once again, the Supernatural writers just can’t help themselves to killing off good characters ….. except, of course, for Crawley, Rowena and Castiel, who we’re stuck with.

And, will there be any consequences for killing Billy? There should be, but our lazy writers will never get around to it.

Overall, I’d rate this episode a B ….. but with a few script changes, it could have been a masterpiece. Very sad!

Comment by JJA — January 28, 2017 @ 11:02 am

26. Isolation is more unbearable than anything it is what fractures people’s minds believe me it and depression are true evils so i get what the point of them saying that was…only those who cannot relate think it absurd they would say that, six week’s of isolation would be worse cuz there is nothing they could do to fight back, except the deal

Comment by Joshua — January 28, 2017 @ 3:45 pm

27. @26, great point, Joshua, but SN has led us to believe there’s no worse punishment than being damned to the supremely excruciating tortures of hell. From what were told, the suffering Dean endured drove him so completely mad he became a torturer himself, while Sam wouldn’t even have survived his memories of the pit had Death not erected a protective wall in his mind.

Would Dabb have the audience believe that six weeks alone in cells had an even worse affect on the brothers? I’m not buying it. And I resent script writers who arrogantly dismiss concepts developed over scores of episodes by their colleagues. Carver did that when he twisted the Sam we know into a coward who abandoned Kevin to the brutalities of demons, never even bothering to answer the kid’s repeated pleas for help. Now, in First Blood, Dabb casually shrugged off three plus seasons of sacrifice and suffering by John, Dean, and Sam, suggesting that any convict in relatively comfortable solitary confinement has more to endure than the Winchesters ever did.

In any case, you’re right. In some instances, isolation might be a worse form of hell than hell itself. But to make the terror of being alone plausible, a writer has to gradually build up the fear of such isolation in a character. Dabb didn’t and couldn’t have done this credibly without re-creating “Sam” and “Dean” over multiple episodes.

Apparently, what the writer wanted was a simple reason why Dean would be desperate enough to do a deal with Billie rather than stay in prison any longer. What the writer didn’t want was to put Sam or someone else in mortal danger from the creepy, menacing agent so Dean would be motivated to make the deal. Would Dean or Sam give up his life to save another’s? Absolutely. Would Dean or Sam die or watch his brother die to avoid more weeks in solitary confinement? No. Some other character, maybe, but not two guys who imprisoned themselves in hell forever to save people’s lives.

Comment by JT — January 28, 2017 @ 8:51 pm

28. This season has ruined Mary For me for ever
    i mean previous seasons we have seen Mary as loving mother we have found out that that she was a hunter which was cool but this season has forever ruined the character for me
    personality she is cold and doesn’t fit in the supernatural universe any more she only shows up once in while and she has no real emotional connection to her childern i mean she found Sam and Dean and then what she is gone again

think about it is she really needed this season at all i mean for the little time she has shown up episodes it hasn’t Really yes Amarma Brought her back but she could of not brought her back and it still would of been fine story wise i think the Writers backed themselves in a corner by bringing her back and then with bad show runners and writing they didn’t know what to do with her

Am i the only one who wishes this had happened this episode Billie goes one Winchester must die Mary Grabbed her gun and shot herself before Sam and Dean could stop her doing it and then Sam and Dean would so guilt ridden because it wasn’t mean to go down like that to me that would be a real Meaty story to continue on with

Comment by keri — February 2, 2017 @ 1:42 am

29. Law enforcement nevertheless trying to find Stockton Comes guySEARSPORT, michael kors handbags Maine Condition law enforcement as well as Waldo Region authorities stated Weekend morning that the fugitive that started the manhunt Thurs as well as Fri continues to be about the free.”We think michael kors outlet online he’s possibly remaining the region or even offers harm themself, inch Searsport City Supervisor Wayne Gilway stated Weekend morning.Randall Hofland, fifty five, associated with Stock

Comment by gucci ouelt online — February 6, 2017 @ 8:02 am