“Regarding Dean” Discussion

Post your thoughts on this week’s mind-erasing episode featuring the return of Rowena. Click HERE for my full recap or keep reading for my quick thoughts.

I love the funny Dean episodes. Jensen is great at comedy and this reminded me a lot of “Yellow Fever” from season 4, when Dean became terrified of everything. From his inability to remember what a lamp is called to his excitement over learning that his BFF is an angel, he was on fire.

After so many heavy episodes, it’s nice to cut loose. And even though it was only a brief mention, I appreciate the idea that Rowena has a history with the British Men of Letters, bringing her into the main story.

News posted on February 9, 2017 Comments (27)

1. I thought this episode was good. Especially the fact that it was a brothers-centric episode, which I like. I loved the brothers interactions and watching Dean lose his memory was very heartbreaking to watch. However, I do have one major gripe about this episode and it’s been one that I’ve actually had for quite a few seasons now. Can the writers please stop making Sam into a damsel in distress that needs constant saving and rescuing by everyone, especially Dean? Sam is a capable and competent hunter in his own right, who can save himself when he is in danger. We have seen that on a multitude of times throughout the series.
    But for some apparent reason, these writers feel the constant need to weaken Sam and make him someone who always needs saving. At least this episode gave us intelligent, clever and smart Sam which made up for it. But still, stop with the Samsel-In-Distress trope, please writers.

Comment by Julia — February 9, 2017 @ 6:08 pm

2. It’s funny, but in Season 1, Dean was always rescuing Sam. Then in future seasons, Sam was always rescuing Dean, which people didn’t like. Now that Sam is being rescued again, people don’t like that. I guess the writers can’t win for trying.

Comment by valerie — February 9, 2017 @ 6:38 pm

3. It’s funny, but in Season 1, Dean was always rescuing Sam. Then in other seasons, Sam was always rescuing Dean, which people didn’t like either. Now that Sam is being rescued again, people don’t like that. I guess the writers can’t win for trying.

Comment by valerie — February 9, 2017 @ 6:39 pm

4. I liked the closing scene with Dean riding that horse.

Overall, a decent episode, yet unremarkable.

Comment by JJA — February 9, 2017 @ 7:22 pm

5. @Valerie

I disagree. There have not been many instances throughout the series where we see Sam acting like a strong competent hunter who din’t need saving or rescuing from someone, primarily Dean. The only time Sam was shown to be a capable and badass hunter was when Sam was soulless. And even then, he was a damsel in distress who Dean ended up saving. It’s just really irritating. These two are experienced hunters who can save themselves when they are in danger. Sam shouldn’t have to have people rescuing him all the time.
    It makes the team of Sam and Dean come off as unequal. It’s not much of a team if Dean/other people are constantly saving or rescuing Sam like some damsel, or if the brothers aren’t capable of saving themselves or at least being equal in the amount of times they save each other. Since the series has began, Dean has saved Sam way more times than the other way around. I’d like to see things even out. Even in an episode where Dean loses his memory and forgets things and Sam is supposed to be the one doing the saving, Sam ends up being the one who needs to be rescued. It’s jus played out. The writers need to fix this and get rid of the damsel in distress Sam or sick!Sam trope once and for all. Twelve seasons later and I still don’t see any difference from the first season in the team or dynamic between Sam and Dean, with Sam always being saved by Dean.

Comment by Julie — February 9, 2017 @ 7:26 pm

6. I loved this episode. I was expecting a funny epinysode to start and then gradually moving toward an emotional episode. But it wasn’t like that. It was funny, then it was sad, then it was funny, then it got really really emotionally sad, then funny again. Then serious. It kept me interested because of the emotional roller coaster. Jensen has got to get an award one of these days.

The character study of Dean in this episode was a surprise. I mean he forgot who he was almost immediately and then he slowly lost his vocabulary memory and then when he lost almost all of his memory the one thing-the very thing that defines Dean Winchester-and only that one thing he never forgets. He is a hero -that is in his core. He came to the rescue even though he couldn’t remember anything else his core told him to be the hero. All of us watching in my house yelled “yes” always the hero thru and thru no matter what situation he is in. Kudos to the writer for at least knowing that much about Dean Winchester.

Comment by animala — February 9, 2017 @ 8:05 pm

7. I enjoyed Sam and Rowena in this episode as well. Ruth plays off of Jared and Jensen so well. She is a great addition to the show. I have always liked her but she is really growing into her own. Jareds playing off of Jensens comedy is just gold. He just made Jensens comedy that much better with his reactions. This was just a great episode. Nothing I didn’t like. I don’t even think there was a plot hole which hasn’t happened in a long while in this season.

Comment by animala — February 9, 2017 @ 8:12 pm

8. Writing this without reading any other comments. I have to say this is the first time in the last 2 seasons that I enjoyed an episode of this show. For me, Sam was very strong, Dean was very doofy and Rowena was a million times more purposeful than either Cas or Mary. Know this show will have nothing to do with any other episode or pushing forward the (nonexistent) season plotline but I don’t give a crap. I watched it and I enjoyed it from start to finish. Been a damn long time since I can say that about an episode of this show.

Comment by SL — February 9, 2017 @ 10:02 pm

9. I loved this episode! The best of Season 12 and I think one of the best episodes in the past couple of years. The comedy, the drama…that mirror scene! Brilliant performance by Jensen Ackles!

The Dean-Rowena scenes were nicely done by both actors, and you can see the affection the actors have for each other.

One of these days Dean will get to use that grenade launcher and it will be glorious! LOL

Comment by Bree — February 10, 2017 @ 5:15 am

10. I don’t know. I was expecting more from this one. I really enjoy both Jensen and Jared but even though I think Jensen is the better actor he has the tendency go overboard. The faces with food are examples. I thought Rowena was great in this episode and was by far the best actor.

Comment by leonard64 — February 10, 2017 @ 6:26 am

11. I have to say, I did expect more from it.

However, for what it was, it was perfect.

I can´t name one thing I didn´t like. Well yeah the witches were shitty but whatever.

– Dean solo scenes both the funny and emotional ones were amazing. The mirror scene was so sad..

– Rowena was, again, awesome. Great addition to the episode. The stickers, the funny remarks, loved them.

– Female bartender was a beauty!

– Sam and Dean scenes were also great, again both the hilarious parts (like with the car keys and Dean realizing they were hunters , which reminded me of Yellow Fever). The moment Sam started to see the downside was nicely done too, loved the emotional talk he had with Rowena.

– Kiling scene was kind of lame (except the fact that he didnt know which to shot) but wasn’t the point of this episode.

– The small things Rowena mentioned in her talk with memory-less Dean. We now know she has some ties with the MOL so curious how they are gonna use that. Also, the biggest event of the entire show and not once was it mentioned in this season until FINALLY Rowena did: God and Amara. Its like the writers don’t mention it on purpose so we’re not reminded of what a huge step back they did after season 11.

To be honest, I didnt like the first half of season 12 but I loved the first 3 after winter break a lot.. please, keep this up writers.

Last thing about this episode; it was great. But it was a loose episode that probably will be forgotten soon since its not important to the story.

Comment by Robin — February 10, 2017 @ 11:40 am

12. In addition to that, I have been watching season 3 lately which was all about Dean going to hell (story wise). And the emotion Sam had there.. he’s become so cold now. Sure there was emotion but compared to then?

Comment by Robin — February 10, 2017 @ 3:21 pm

13. @Robin –

Considering all that Sam has been through, it is not surprising why Sam is less emotional and more stoic than he used to be. A part of Sam has been shut down since Season 4 IMO. He was never the same man ever again and he never will be. Sam has gone through so much trauma that it almost doesn’t phase him anymore. Is it any wonder why Sam wanted to die back at the beginning of Season 9? I think Sam has become desensitized to pretty much everything now.

Comment by Julie — February 10, 2017 @ 5:26 pm

14. @julie agree I do get it. It was an observation, didn’t mean to judge it.

Comment by Robin — February 10, 2017 @ 7:55 pm

15. There was sooooo much build up that I was expecting something as totally awesome as the 200th episode, and I felt mega let down..

I totally get the Jensen Going Overboard comment. A lot of the times he goes so far it just seems silly.

I think Jensen Ackles is a great tv actor but he’s just never going to be in the same league as somebody like Bryan Cranston or Rami Malek. I love him and even pushing 40 he is still really handsome but he does have the tendency to overdo.

I gotta say that Jared was spot on here and I am not usually a fan of Jared’s acting, but he was great.

I know you folks will see me as the odd man out but I just wasn’t feelin’ Jensen in this one.

Comment by Leslie — February 10, 2017 @ 7:59 pm

16. it wasn’t as funny as i thought it was going to be when Jensen described it as Yellow fever ish but i did love the episode Jensen with bunny was so cute and the mirror scene was great ( not as heart breaking as when Mary left and dean backed away )but he does those heart breaking ones so well over the years i i thought Jared was good with the emotion that had to be going on with what the story was about. Both Dean and Sam emotions has been different this year but in my option only they have been through a lot and it will take a toll on them i think we starting to see it more this year Plus as Sam said in baby that what they gone through in prison he be hitting in bottle so i think the writers are going with that that they been through a lot with prison and everything as i said that is just my option
    i hopeful with next with trailer even though it a Cass on it looks good fingers crossed i think this episode will feature Kelly in the episode a bit as the one after this one Kelly hides out with demons so there would have to have a bit with Kelly in next week for it to make sense for the following week

Comment by keri — February 11, 2017 @ 2:16 am

17. I really enjoyed this episode. I think this was the best episod of season 12 and Jensen totally knocked it out of the park. He had me laughing at times and then sad at times. That scene of him talking in the mirror was so great. This episode actually felt like a Supernatural episode, not a an episode about the guest stars on Supernatural. I liked Rowena in this and she didn’t become the center of the episode, nor did the episode become about the witch family.

Comment by Chelsea — February 11, 2017 @ 4:58 am

18. Well, this episode reminds me of that Kripke’s quote about “the most the show is about the brothers, the better it is”.
    Rowena is the better example os how a secondary character should be used. Can we keep her? She’s actually the best secondary character we have now.

Comment by emmanuel — February 11, 2017 @ 3:48 pm

19. I DVRd this one and just had time to watch it. Man, I was really pumped for this episode and I have to say that although it was a good episode, I didn’t see it as great. I had envisioned a much sadder script centered around Dean forgetting Sam and that right there would tug at everyone’s heartstrings. I hate to say it, but I found this episode too happy for the circumstances. I mean, damn, Dean basically has supernatural Alzheimer’s and there’s certainly nothing funny about Alzheimer’s. I understand the subtext, that Sam and Dean’s lives as hunters are dangerous and that the hero mantle is heavy, and that by forgetting who he is Dean is temporarily freed from that weight. I dunno, unlike a lot of folks here I’ve never seen Jensen as a huge acting talent but he’s very good at certain things and this script was certainly in his wheelhouse. I just would have rather seem something more emotional and real, but even so this episode was vast improvement on the season so far and I’m glad everyone enjoyed it.

Comment by DermDoc77 — February 11, 2017 @ 7:25 pm

20. Agree dermdoc. Was great but had potential to be classic

Comment by Robin — February 11, 2017 @ 8:02 pm

21. Despite its merits, this episode was no “Yellow Fever” for two major reasons. First, no one can ever take Jim Beaver’s place on this show. Rowena is played by a good actress, but the character is campy and dull. Second, the series hasn’t offered an absorbing, convincing mytharc since the season of Cain. The producers need to bring in someone to create a powerful frame to give interest and direction to the show for the next couple of seasons. Rosemary’s baby definitely ain’t gonna do it.

Comment by Jamie — February 12, 2017 @ 9:26 am

22. I liked it.

I loved parts of it…..the wrong motel room….the NO on the grenade launcher….the STAY on the window.

But, I must quibble….it was too rushed. I understand the limited amount of minutes per episode and time constraints but…..how about less Rowena babble, less babble between witches and more Dean losing memories and Sam coping.

@21 Don’t get me started on what the show lost when they killed off the character of Bobby…ugh…the history, the foundation of stability…..the pillar of support…..the show of strength…….

*sigh*

Comment by Auggie — February 12, 2017 @ 2:37 pm

23. @auggie I do agree that there could have been more time focussed on Deans memory loss and taken away from the witches.

Comment by Robin — February 12, 2017 @ 3:11 pm

24. I thought the episode was good, using Rowena to stop another witch is not outrageous. Jensen’s portrayal of someone losing their memory was powerful and I think award-worthy. I still don’t understand why developing a mytharc is so difficult for the writers, perhaps next year.

Comment by Jayday — February 12, 2017 @ 5:02 pm

25. Congrats to Jensen on receiving an Honorable Mention nod in TVline’s Performance of the Week! (the winner was Melissa McCarthy’s performance on Saturday Night Live)

From the blurb about Jensen’s performance:

“HONORABLE MENTION | During this Thursday’s Supernatural, Dean’s inability to remember his own name – or much of anything – led to a performance we won’t soon forget from star Jensen Ackles. As the hunter faced himself in the bathroom mirror, we looked on in awe as he came to the terrifying realization that his own identity was slipping away. “My name is Dean Winchester,” he desperately repeated to himself until all he was left with was three scary words: “I don’t know.” More than his infamous single perfect tear, it was the fear and sadness in Ackles’ eyes in that moment that reminded us why he is an unforgettable — and underrated — talent.”

From what I heard, Jensen said in his meet and greet that the “I don’t know” was ad-libbed by him. Great add, Jensen!

Comment by Bree — February 14, 2017 @ 5:26 am

26. Thanks, Bree. Maybe that blurb will send a message to SN’s producers that it’s long past time the writers gave JA and JP, too, scripts that will allow the actors to show off the depth and range of their talents.

SN will end someday. If only out of ambition for their own futures, the writers should aim for the fame that goes with working on an Emmy winning show.

Comment by Jamie — February 14, 2017 @ 4:43 pm

27. B/C of overtime at work I haven’t been able to watch this episode until a few hours ago. It was good but I feel the people who didn’t think it was great. The idea of Dean losing his memory is gold but I don’t think it was carried out in the best way. I 100% agree that it should have been alot sadder. That scene in the bathroom was good but then 30 seconds later Dean is laughing! Even if know you’ve lost your memory you’re not going to be happy for Pete’s sakes. And I didn’t think that Sam was appropriately concerned. He just seemed kind of meh. Rowena was the star of this one. I thought she was great and really want to see more of her. I 100% agree with people saying it was a huge improvement but it could have been a real stand out episode of the hole series.

Comment by Flores — February 15, 2017 @ 6:19 am