“Stuck in the Middle (With You)” Discussion

Post your thoughts on this week’s Mary-heavy episode. Click HERE for my full recap or keep reading for my quick thoughts.

HO! LY! CRAP!

This show just gave us a whole lot in one episode. At first I was just happy to see a Reservoir Dogs homage. If this episode was just a regular case-of-the-week with that cool style, it would’ve been great. But they added a ton of old-school mythology to make me geek out.

First there’s the damn COLT! That gun has been missing since season 5, so to bring it back now really raises the stakes. We never actually learned the four things (besides Lucifer) that it CAN’T kill. I’m assuming God and Amara are two of them, but what are the other two?

Also, Lucifer is back. Original recipe Mark Pellegrino Lucifer, the best one. That’s going to be very fun, especially since Crowley has flipped the script on him. It only makes me more excited for the Kelly Kline storyline to return.

Oh, and because the Colt isn’t enough of a throwback, Mary also came face-to-face with a Yellow-Eyed Demon! And we learned all about them and their origins.

I love that the show is remembering those early seasons and all of the fantastic mythology they created. This was easily the best episode of the season.

News posted on February 16, 2017 Comments (48)

1. Annoying episode. Is there a new ship? Marystiel? :)

Comment by LG — February 16, 2017 @ 5:41 pm

2. I don’t know how I feel about this episode…Richard did a great job and there were definitely some high points, good drama/action/revelations, but I would probably have to see it again sometime to form a more solid opinion.
    I will say with the aforementioned reveals I’ll be looking forward to what happens next, especially the way the boys and Cas find out about it!!

Comment by Sara W. — February 16, 2017 @ 6:12 pm

3. This episode was terrible.

Comment by Julie — February 16, 2017 @ 6:31 pm

4. Fantastic! Outstanding writing, top notch performances, wonderful cinematography and special effects, and–wow!–such ingenious direction. At long last, the producers have brought in the fallen angels (an endless source of powerful villainy) and seem to be forming a strong mytharc around them. Bravo to the writer and MS for returning a tough, sinister Crowley to the screen and welcome home to the Colt. Why do the King of Hell and the Men of Letters want it so much? If Michael’s spear kills fallen angels, can it kill Lucifer or his spawn? Is Mary hoping the Men of Letters will rid the world of monsters and demons so her sons can get out of the Life? The episode raised tantalizing questions and introduced intriguing plot lines that, properly addressed, could make this season and, possibly, the next among the best of the series. My one criticism: the killing off that expertly acted, deliciously evil fallen angel. What a terrible waste! Unfortunately, his sister–like almost every other female villain on this show–is bound to be a bitchy, busty bore.

Comment by Jamie — February 16, 2017 @ 7:12 pm

5. This episode was awful. I don’t even know where to begin it was so bad.

Comment by Chelsea — February 16, 2017 @ 7:16 pm

6. I liked the episode. Was glad to have Crowley back. Found the evil one well acted. Was glad to have Sam kill him off. And I liked the last scene with Crowley and Lucifer. Can always hope Mark Pelligrino will return to the show. But I do wonder what Dean would have done had Cas died and he found out it was because Mary was giving the colt to the Brits. Glad that did not happen.

Comment by SL — February 16, 2017 @ 8:16 pm

7. Holy Cow!!!

How did Supernatural pull-off this OUTSTANDING episode??

This has got to be the best episode since “Baby,” and it comes smack in the middle of what is otherwise a God-awful season.

Comment by JJA — February 16, 2017 @ 8:44 pm

8. A damn good episode. So glad that they can still surprise me with the quality of their show.

Comment by damn — February 16, 2017 @ 9:23 pm

9. Why so much iinterst in the colt that can kill everything but four thinghs when there is the spear of Michael that can kill EVERYTHING. Well, now is broke and Crowly did it to save Cass? uh. Wait, Crowly left the spear behind even knowing that he can kill Lucifer with it. Thats a powerfull weapon, makes the colt look short.

Comment by LG — February 16, 2017 @ 9:53 pm

10. I love you, I love you all, ay,ay,ay, I couldn’t rool my eyes any higher. He has becomes a burden. I used to love Cass so much.
    Ok, we have Lucifer, Lucifer’s baby, British men of letter, Mary (who apparently cares more for the work she is doing for BMoL that for her sons), and now the yellow eyed demons.

Comment by LG — February 16, 2017 @ 10:07 pm

11. Sorry for the grammar***

Comment by LG — February 16, 2017 @ 10:12 pm

12. Wait how come people are saying the colt can kill Lucifer? Dean tried it didn’t work.

Didn’t see the episode yet but love the responses so far.

Comment by Robin — February 16, 2017 @ 10:14 pm

13. The episode was good although I thought it could be told in a linear fashion without the music. The prince was the kind of guy that ahould be the bad guy for the season. I liked how the episode brought back the old storyline with the Colt and Yellow Eyes.

I also thought Misha acted well in the episode. It was gritty, scary and you felt like the brothers were in real jeopardy. Supernatural is at its best when fear and urgency is a part of the season.

Comment by Jayday — February 16, 2017 @ 10:37 pm

14. I hate Castiel fanservice scenes. He’s always dying. That’s the only part of the episode I didn’t like.

I wonder how long before that “devastatingly handsome” line bites Jensen in the ass.

Comment by Hadrian — February 16, 2017 @ 11:42 pm

15. I also thought this was,by far, the best episode of the season, and probably the best episode since “Baby”(another one of my favorites). I really love episodes where the writing and directing shine. The writing here was terrific, the directing creative and top-notch, and the acting was wonderful. That breakfast scene?! Wow,just wow! Also,kudos again to the makeup and special effects teams.

Comment by Petunia — February 16, 2017 @ 11:48 pm

16. More good news!

The Alpha Vampire is returning.

Comment by JJA — February 16, 2017 @ 11:56 pm

17. I loved the episode as well. Agree that it was the best we have seen in this season.
    Charismatic “villain”: Check
    Awesome Crowley: Double Check
    Plot twist:Triple Check
    I still do not know if I want Mary to stay around or be killed of quickly but working for the BMOL, stealing the object, giving Mr.Catch the speech aso is true to her character. Very nice that a simple daemon turned out to be a Prince of hell and simply brilliant that the object turned out to be the cold. So happy Mark Pellegrino is back as Lucifer. If Crowley and Lucifer are well written the actors are just so ready to spoil. Always prepared…
    As for Cass: Yes I liked it that he wanted everyone to leave, I liked the “we don’t leave family behind” and of course it was needed so Crowley could have his moment of braking the lance… But I wish it would not have been handled that cheesy. Misha’s acting was all right but Mary fussing, Dean and Sam with their sad and worried puppy faces, “I love you” and “you have changed me”. Less is sometimes more. Loved Crowley’s reaction. You immediately got how much he cares about Cass.

Comment by Murphy — February 17, 2017 @ 1:16 am

18. “Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

THE HOUNDS OF HELL – An attack by an invisible hellhound at a campsite leads Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) to investigate the mysterious circumstances. Meanwhile, two of Crowley’s (Mark A. Sheppard) own personal demons uncover what he has been hiding. Castiel (Misha Collins) gets a lead on Kelly Kline. Directed by Nina Lopez-Corrado, the episode was written by Davy Perez. (#1215). Original airdate 3/9/2017.

Comment by Rachelle — February 17, 2017 @ 4:55 am

19. After such a great episode last week, I am so disappointed with last night’s episode, especially the script. Last week’s “Regarding Dean” is the still the best episode of season 12 and I think since “Baby”.

Davy Perez has written two episodes and in each of them Dean disappears for no reason, at least this time it wasn’t for an entire 1/3 of the ep.

Mary continues to be written horribly. She seems to care more about relative strangers than she does her own sons. She would prefer to be with other hunters than spend any time with her sons. It looks like she only contacts her sons when she wants something. Poor Dean, he thinks he’s getting a gift from Amara and it turns out to be a nightmare.

All the references to Michael and not one mention of Dean’s connection to Michael? I know show doesn’t like to remember any of Dean’s past storylines, but this was a pretty big one for a couple of seasons.

Castiel questioning when Dean has had worse injuries? Um, really, show? Being torn apart by hellhounds, going to hell, being hung by hooks, being tortured in Hell, being beaten and killed by Metatron…I could go on. *sigh*

@18 Rachelle – Davy Perez wrote an upcoming episode about hellhounds? I’m going to guess he’s not going to remember that Dean was torn apart by hellhounds.

Comment by Bree — February 17, 2017 @ 5:23 am

20. Well i didn’t think that they weren’t going to going to do anything unique out of the box this season i was wrong this was something different and i like it introducing princes of hell is interesting if they going to go further with it. i wasn’t expecting much out of the episode when you see the spoilers for it at start of year

i continue to be annoyed by how they are writing Mary she has no emotion connection to her sons she sees them and then disappears again anyone else was hoping that With the shot out the window when mary and Ketch was Talking that Sam, dean, or cass would be standing outside.
    There was nice shout outs to previous things like the colt, the yellow eyes demon and it nice to know that dean kept the Brass knuckles

Luifer in the cage was Mark it sounded like him and at one of the conventions Singer did say he was coming back it would be a nice surprise because no one has posted anything about him returning

Comment by Keri — February 17, 2017 @ 5:57 am

21. Damn, I’m pretty busy today, but after quickly reading your comments can’t wait to watch it. Let’s see if I agree with most of you or not. Bringing things from the past always get me nervous and nostalgic. I just hope there’s not canon-trashing!

Comment by emmanuel — February 17, 2017 @ 7:03 am

22. Incredible.

Thing I loved most is how Crowley got king of hell and the ending… wow.

Also loved the mentions of Azazel/Lilith.

But how humans can kill a prince of hell and an angel can’t? What the hell?? The scene with them not leaving him was good but come on at least have him put up a fight, writers.

Mary was a cold b*tch and I hope they kill mr Catch very very soon. Terrible character.

Prince of hell was cool and the fact that Crowley saved Castiel was nice too.

Crowley in general was amazing. The flashbacks, all the mentions of lucifer,michael, god, amarra. Return of the Colt.. damn.

Not a fan of the time switching stuff but overal great episode. Also looking forward to the hellhound episode.

Comment by Robin — February 17, 2017 @ 8:12 am

23. Also promo for next week looks good.

I heard Mark Pellegrino’s laughter, love it. Love that badass Crowley is back.. wish they did the same with Cass.

Comment by Robin — February 17, 2017 @ 8:14 am

24. Mark Pellegrino also returns in the episode with the hellhound by the way.

Comment by Robin — February 17, 2017 @ 8:21 am

25. I’m not sure if I loved it or hated it. I do know I don’t like Mary and I hope she’s gone after this season. I feel it would have been better if she was sent back for a limited run. Spend some time with Sam and Dean and then go back to heaven. Maybe it’s just me.

Another weapon destroyed. I’m glad it was used to save Cass however I feel like there needs to be an inventory list somewhere of these things. LOL. They pop when needed and it’s like oh yeah I know what that is. God made these weapons and it’s like a tissue, once use and done. Maybe the BMOL are hiding them too.

I’m just torn, I like the new villain they added and how there are more of these crazy weapons but part of me feels like they are messing with canon. I’m sure next week everyone will forget Dean was dragged to hell by a hellhound. We’ll see what happens.

Comment by Mailer — February 17, 2017 @ 8:31 am

26. PS – LOVED that MP was back as Lucifer. I hope he sticks around.

Comment by Mailer — February 17, 2017 @ 8:32 am

27. @mailer hellhoud ep is 2 episodes later

Also mark pellegrino returns in that episode too

Comment by Robin — February 17, 2017 @ 9:05 am

28. Havent seen episode yet, but ratings are up this week as well as total viewers. Hopefully last 3 strong episodes re-triggered some lost interest and show will re-bound a little.

Comment by AAA — February 17, 2017 @ 10:07 am

29. @20, Keri and @22, Robin, It seems a lot of posters didn’t like Mary in this episode. I just assumed she wants to protect her sons by helping the Men of Letters carry out some grand scheme to rid the world of monsters and demons, thereby putting an end to the need for hunters like Sam and Dean to sacrifice their lives. Working with shady characters like the MofL will turn out to be a big mistake, of course, but it’s exactly the kind of mistake Sam made in trusting Ruby and Dean made in trusting Gadreel.

Mary: Since I’ve been working with them, we’ve taken out more than a dozen vamp nests, four werewolf packs, and a ghoul who was eating his way through Arlington. We saved a lot of people.
    Wally: Right, so you trust them.
    Mary: Yeah.

@25, Mailer, great point about the supernatural weapons being discarded like used tissue. (Ha!) I hope the Colt is back to stay for awhile.

Comment by Taz — February 17, 2017 @ 1:15 pm

30. LOVED this!! LOVE Mary anyway but especially in this one.
    Whole episode felt like a return to the original feel of the series….Pl
    ease keep it up!! :)

Comment by MEG — February 17, 2017 @ 2:00 pm

31. For the record, despite being a demon Crowley has been helping Sam/Dean/Cas for so long and I honestly think they should appreciate him more.

Comment by Robin — February 17, 2017 @ 4:09 pm

32. Things have changed this year some good some bad i like that they can still think outside the box and this week episode proved that

some things have changed bad
    Crowley and Cass they need to be doing something or leave them out of things
    Mary there is no emotional connection to her children she needed to be written better she could be just another hunter that Sam and Dean in counter
    there is no that brotherly moments any more there is not that many talks between them
    Sam this year is a lot more emotionless than he has been in previous season
    Dean the character has a lot less humor this year yes it there but not as much
    still in saying that there he is a lot more serious and it looks hot on him

what is good is that Sam and Dean are being written as a lot more bad ass this year there is not many them getting knocked out and a lot more serious fighting which i like

i didn’t like how the first bit of the season was but the second half has been improvement not looking forward to next week since the worst two writers have written it but i hope ful

Comment by Keri — February 17, 2017 @ 6:03 pm

33. this has been the best episode in a while. I love that the Lucifer story is not over but I do not want it to end with his death. One character I really want back is Micheal and hopefully the appearance of his lance may mean he will make an appearance. For some reason I feel that Lucifer will die , but I dont want him to die because I feel that the world needs the devil on its shoulder. I also dont hope Micheal dies but I do want to see a storyline with him. Honestly I hope God revives Gabriel and Raphael and takes all 4 archangels with him to wherever he and Amara are. Like i said though , I think Lucifer will die whether this season or next or the one after that because this show has killed characters that I feel it shouldnt have killed. Death , Gods , Archangels, Angels, and i heard that it was confirmed that the show wanted to kill god at the end of season 11 but the CW said no to that idea, so if they thought about killing God I wouldnt be surprised if Lucifer dies at the end of this season and I wouldnt be surprised if Micheal also dies( assuming he comes back into the story ) and it would probably be at the hands of Dean since he tends to kill all the badasses.

Comment by Ezequiel — February 17, 2017 @ 10:22 pm

34. Whew!

Am I ever happy Dean learned how to jump over a railing and off a porch after his epic fail in getting over a fence. (whether that scene in the prior episode was meant as humor or not, I hated it.)

And I must have banged my head harder than I thought I did a few months ago when attempting to clean the ceiling in my shower and I fell off the side of the tub, ‘CAUSE I could have sworn I read/heard somewhere we were getting bad-assed Cas back this season.

Rotting and dying, babbling he loves the brothers does not in my book = return of bad-assed angel.

I wanted to be happy with the return of Mary, but after this episode, I’m not. I read on another board maybe Dean could call up Amara and exchange her for Bobby…..yeah…. I like that idea.

What can I say….I love Crowley. One week he refuses to help find the boys, this week he tries to help them save Cas…..never know what he’s going to do.

I will say, the episode moved along at a fast pace, and I liked that.

That’s it, that’s all I got.

Comment by Auggie — February 18, 2017 @ 5:14 am

35. Such great posts here! I wanted to correct my earlier one. Lucifer excepted, SN has no fallen angels. Crowley explained that Azazel, Ramiel, and other Princes of Hell are “the oldest of the old demons. The first generation after Lilith. Lucifer turned them himself, before the oceans drank Atlantis. They were trained to be generals, to lead demonic armies in the war against Heaven. Like Azazel. They even have his eyes.”

Even if the writer did follow the legend asserting that Lilith gave birth to all demons, the demons wouldn’t have to be “turned” (they were already demons). Furthermore, according to this story, demons–not angels–warred against God. Of course, this notion runs counter not only to Judeo/Christian /Islamic legend and tradition but to earlier episodes of SN. It also undercuts the motive behind the war against heaven: the refusal of Lucifer and his fellow rebellious angels to serve God’s human creatures (“apes” as SN’s angels once called us).

I liked much about the episode, but it’s sad SN’s writers are arrogant enough to believe that their cheesy Hollywood concepts of God, angels, and demons are superior to legends and beliefs which strike such a deep chord in the human psyche, they’ve lasted for thousands of years. EK wasn’t afraid; he knew good story materials when he saw them. But in their terror of being regarded as “religious” in secular Tinsel Town, the writers have deprived the show of its depth and mystery, leaving an empty husk behind.

Comment by Jamie — February 18, 2017 @ 7:32 am

36. I am not surprised a lot of people liked this episode. I feel about this episode the same as I felt about Fan Fiction. I hate hate hate fan pandering-fan feeding-anything that is done strictly to appease fans and this episode was chalk full of it and it did its job as Fan Fiction did. It got the fans all drooling. Not me. Let me state up front. The story if told in a linear fashion this I would have liked it better even with the fan feeding. But told as a Taratino worshipping episode it sucked. The flashes of time and places was confusing at best. Editing was wrong in one place I think. won’t rewatch to be specific on where it was though.

Fan pandering- The slow mo walk. Wonderful -Dean where he should be -leading the group. The waitress scene, the I love you scene, yellow eyed demon scene, the colt, referencing Michael, Lucifer in a cage -my gawd what an overloaded episode of fan pandering this one was.

The twos scene that pissed me off the most-Mary talking with Kesch or whatever his name is-“You killed my friend and almost my boys”. Yea right Cas is a son to her now. And the most ridiculous and disrespectful to Dean (and there were a couple in this episode) when Dean says to cas-“I know what your feeling -or I have been there-one of those when talking about cas’s injury and cas goes “When?”. WTF is that? Dean was torn apart by a hell hound. He was torn apart in hell over and over again, and the writer disrespects Deans past like that? WTF. And the total disrespect actually forgetting all about Deans relationship to Michael. And how about Sam and his connection to Yellow Eyes-nothing said either. I thought we were going to get a reference and it would have made me like this episode a little when Sam says to the YED-Do you know who we are?” and then Nothing- My gawd what a bunch of fails in this one.

Comment by animala — February 18, 2017 @ 9:43 am

37. This writer sucks. Richard did a nice job setting up scenes -I like the slow mo walk -the lighting was wonderful thru out the episode. The fight scenes were good,

I want Mary dead again already. They have ruined her for me that I cringe when she comes on screen. Samantha maybe could try playing her softer but that would play against the character the writers are writing her as. Her not coming clean about the colt when the lives of her boys was in danger was just no-absolutely no-She is no way their mother.

I will never watch this one again. Well maybe just the slow walk-that was nice.

Comment by animala — February 18, 2017 @ 9:51 am

38. @animala what about Dean not saying ‘I killed your brother’ Azazel?

Comment by Robin — February 18, 2017 @ 9:53 am

39. Yea Robin that would have been nice to see. That was one fan pandering this writer didn’t use. lol. I know I am in the minority here with this episode as I was with Fan Fiction-still haven’t rewatched that one either. I can’t stand the fan pandering especially when they could have used actual canon to make the story really flow. Yuck!! But this episode did its job. Ratings went up -although slightly and got fans to forget about the fact there really wasn’t a whole 40 minutes of the episode-maybe just 20 minutes of new material the rest was replay and time/place stamps. It was all for you guys though. You guys enjoyed it.

Comment by animala — February 18, 2017 @ 11:32 am

40. The time switching was annoying as hell same as the corny music. I loved the episode tho (except a few things like the MOL bullshit but I covered that earlier, same as the things I liked).

I always wondered how a crossroad demon would become king.. how they explained that and went back to season 6 Crowley was done perfectly. Also the fact that Azazel summoned Lucifer in that church, him being his ‘father’, makes sense.

Also liked the prince of hell idea.. except for one thing:

When was asked do you know who it is (demon), why did they let say Castiel say yes??

I mean this is just a detail but think about it: if Cas knew that a yellow eyed demon is a prince of hell, you’d think he would have mentioned that in season 4 when it was about Azazel. Of course the writers didn’t had the prince of hell idea back then but the current writers didn’t realize it would be dumb if Cas knew all of this but somehow forgot to mention it.

Comment by Robin — February 18, 2017 @ 12:06 pm

41. Hell can someone tell me why the BMOL sent Mary to this prince of hell -yea I know they supposedly didn’t know that-whatever-but the actual target was the colt? Why? The colt is useless-unless we are going to rewrite the canon for the colt later this season. The bullets that kill only 5 things are gone. Dean shot Azazel with the last one. The BMOL guy would have known that right? So WTH-Oh I know-fan pandering. Fans wanted to know where the gun is-now we do-at the expense of Mary as a character and the story of the gun in general. Yea! noooooo. And what was it with the glow? I don’t recall that when we had the gun in the early years. You know when the writing was for story and not for fans. I guess the prince of hell reworked the gun AGAIN and now it does something else now I guess. Yea! Nooooooo!

Comment by animala — February 18, 2017 @ 1:28 pm

42. @40Robin-We already knew Lucifer was Azazels father back in that church. Not as a prince of hell though but we already knew Lucifer “made” all the demons. I don’t recall the convo in this episode so I don’t remember the details of what you are citing but we as an audience already knew Lucifers connection to the demons (of all types). The only ones Luci didn’t actually have a direct creation on were the Knights. Cain made those if I remember correctly or did he just train them? I think he made them and trained them. Luci made Cain.

Comment by animala — February 18, 2017 @ 1:34 pm

43. Mary will forever be ruined for me because of this season when she is described in the past she was a loving mother but this season all i see from her is uncaring emotionless person who doesn’t care for her sons yes i know when she returned they were grown men but she doesn’t show much emotion for them she disappears a lot and she on screen we see nothing of her getting to know her sons they could be just another set of hunters for her i hope that this is the last year for the character i have never not liked or the character has grown on me for all the years supernatural has been on but i dislike the character so much i don’t know if it is Samatha doing it or the bad writing or combo of both the writers and show runners thought bringing back mary was great idea and then back themselves in a corner on how do the character right

Comment by Keri — February 18, 2017 @ 11:12 pm

44. Now that is a proper episode. I really enjoyed this and it was good to bring in the Yellow Eye’d Demons as a story arc. I hope they stick with it for the rest of the season or push it through season 13. Also, I really hope we get more Mark Pellegrino Lucifer.

Comment by Salarian — February 20, 2017 @ 2:21 pm

45. The Colt isn’t useless – Ruby helped Bobby fix it in the Sin City (?) episode – not sure if she made it so that it could use regular bullets or what. Too lazy to look it up right now. Then at some point Crowley returned the colt to Sam and Dean – along with a pack of bullets – with instructions to go kill Lucifer which Dean tried but he is one of the five things that can not be killed. Dean lost the colt when Lucifer slammed him into the tree – I would think he still had the bullets on his person tho… Then Crowley snatched it back up. Watch. Show will bulldoze over the inconvenience of no more original bullets/lost bullets by having Rowena cast a Book of the Damned/Black Grimoire spell over either regular bullets or the Colt itself.

Comment by AlyCat22 — February 20, 2017 @ 3:08 pm

46. Maybe the writers are planning to go back to the original purpose for the Colt, the key so coveted by Azazel. Could the Men of Letters be planning to drive all demons through the Gate of Hell and lock them inside forever?

Comment by Jamie — February 20, 2017 @ 7:45 pm

47. The knights of hell vs the princes of hell, do you think that the writers just wing it or do they forget all of the characters and stories from the last 11 years.

I think they just wing it because they assume fans of the show will watch it no matter what, I think more attention to detail is needed for future episodes.

Comment by Jayday — February 21, 2017 @ 8:39 pm

48. @jamie that would be a good idea.

So probably not gonna happen

Comment by Robin — February 22, 2017 @ 12:54 am